Cooler Mash Tun Question (size, shape, stainless steel braid)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsnbikes

Reaction score
I'm building a mash tun utilizing a cooler and stainless steel braid. Come September up here in the mountains there isn't a good selection of coolers.

The best I could find was a Coleman rectangular 70 qt. It claims to be uber-insulated, and it has thick walls to support the claim. The inner dimensions are 24 inches long x 10 inches wide x 11.5 inches deep.

My stainless steel braid "tube" should run the length of the cooler.

1) Are there any issues using the steel braid on a rectangular cooler? Seems like all the ones I see are on the 10 gallon cylindrical coolers.

2) Is this cooler too big? Will I lose heat when mashing?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. The GF requested a banana in this post.:ban:

Just preheat prior to using. If you find it's losing heat, you could always cut a peice of rigis insulation to attach to the lid. But it should be fine.

I have the exact same cooler, and I preheat mine with 3-4 gal of 130 degree water while my strike water is heating up, I flush the drain, adump th rest when I am ready to dough in.
I only lose about 1 degree for the hour maybe 2 tops.
The only thing I had to do to mine was put some tape where the lid closes in the front at the center, when the lid closes, it pushed the front wall frame away, and was leaking heat pretty bad there where the hand cutout is to open the cooler, other than that it rocks.

I just wish it didnt have the drain tunnel at the bottom.

Hey guys. I just bought a 48L Coleman myself and have all the necessary materials to convert it into a mash tun, but GOD DAMMIT I can't get the stock drain plug undone! Any tips on how to unscrew this thing???

Latest posts

Back