Can this fridge be modified into a kegerator??? (pic inside)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I`ve been looking at many of the projects presented on the site and have concluded that i need my personal kegorator. All that I am missing now is the fridge itself :eek:.

So far the only fridge I was able to find without a freezer compartment was this frigerator at Candian Tire. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not this could be modified into a kegorator capable of holding two soda kegs.

Thanks to everyone!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/p...4443300672&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

0431825_450_CC_6a4bd.jpg

It's hard to tell from the picture but if that is the Sylvania or the Salton that they were selling before. There are threads here and here respectively that will allow you to convert them. If it's some other brand you may have to decide for yourself if you want to try. The overall size is good and there is no freezer, you would need to check the actual inside dimensions though.

Hey Bradsul... the fridge seems very similar to the salton fridge conversion. I`ll go check the dimensions tomorrow using cardboard keg replica as you have suggested.

Once again...thanks!!!

Gabriel

Interesting,

I just noticed that the first syllable of our handles are the first syllables of our first names.

The second syllable of mine is the first syllable of my last name. I am guessing that it is the same with you guys. I wonder if that is a canadian trait.

Hehe..

I`m from Quebec...

Finally got the fridge today but a lot of things are comming up, hopefully i`ll get some free time to start the project. I`ll keep you guys up to date!

By the way....it's the Salton CF-2029 model...same fridge OCB modified into a kegerator.

Another Question...I`ve been looking around for a two-faucet tower. Should I try building my own or are there some decent deals around?

Thanks to all!

Gabriel

I think BeerCanuck found a good source, you could try PM'ing him. Also look at kegworks.com, they use that Canada Post Border Free service so you pay shipping and customs at checkout which is nice.

I really like my DIY tower, I like the way the black works with the chrome. But a fully stainless (or chrome) tower would look really slick too. :)

Bradsul's DIY tower seems like the best of choices. I came up with a list of the parts needed to complete such a project. I was wondering if anything is missing. Suggestions or welcome :D.

DIY twin-faucet tower supply list:

-3 inch PVC pipe (length...12 inches??)
-3 inch PVC cap
-3 inch toilet flange
-4 fender washers
-4 lag bolts
-2 faucets (Perlick??)
-2 shanks (3 inch??)
-2 half inch copper pipes
-Spray foam

Do the PVC parts need to be glued?

Thanks

Gabriel

I didn't glue any of the pipe joints, though I did put screws through the toilet flange into the tube (I wanted to be able to take it apart).

You can't get regular shanks for a tower, you need to get elbow shanks. Kegworks.com sells a nice kit that comes with the shanks, hose and faucets (they call it a refurbishing kit). I bought two of those kits and they worked amazingly well, you just cut off the threaded fitting they supply (they're for commercial kegs) and either add the flare fitting for a QD (or just the QD itself).

You'll also want more than 12" of pipe, most places only sell it in 3' lengths anyway but to give you an idea, my tower is 14" from the top of the kegerator to the top of the tower. That gives me a good 10" below the faucet.

I found at Micro Matic an elbow shank assembly (20$), do you think this would be a better choice as it would help facilitate the installation?

beershank.jpg

Thanks

Back