fire hazard or worry wart???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolomieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have set up a upright freezer to act as a ferm chamber. I drilled through one of the shelf supports to pass the temp probe through. To insulate/cover the hole I folded up a shop towel and duck taped it over the hole.

So here is my concern. I want to pass a cord for a brew belt through the same hole. If I do this is my insulation method a potential fire hazard? If yes any recommendations on a safe removable low profile way of insulating this area would be greatly appreciated.

Couple of questions:
Why does this setup need to be removable?
Can you send pictures?

without either answer, i'd recommend you get crafty with some spray foam, maybe stick a ziplock bag in the hole with your two cables and fill it with the flame stop spray foam.

It only needs to be removable as I'm not fully done getting it put together. I may add another controller, or change the type of heating. Just looking for a safe solution while I figure out what works for me. If it helps I have it in the garage.

I can't add a pic just yet as I'm already on the way to work. Maybe after I can get that done. Is almost the exact same thing I use to attach the temp probe to my bucket. The hole is about 1/2 in

Your concern is that your cord for your brew belt might heat up enough to catch your towel on fire? I don't think I'd be too concerned about that, personally.

While I wouldn't be too concerned, there is a putty available that is made for this sort of use. Look for a block of duct seal in the electrical department of your favorite building supply store. It has a consistency like Play Doh, sticks well, and stays pliable for a very long time.

Your concern is that your cord for your brew belt might heat up enough to catch your towel on fire? I don't think I'd be too concerned about that, personally.

Yeah that is the concern. I'm not horribly familiar with the brew belt or know if it would pose a problem if ran for extended periods of time. Which is why I posted to get input from you folks. Thank you BTW.

While I wouldn't be too concerned, there is a putty available that is made for this sort of use. Look for a block of duct seal in the electrical department of your favorite building supply store. It has a consistency like Play Doh, sticks well, and stays pliable for a very long time.

Thank you, I will check for that. I do have this near some wood shelving and would hate to burn my house down.

You could try to use a rubber gromet of a cord grip.

Another idea would be an electrical box bushing (just a plastic bushing typically used for running low voltage lines and data lines into a metal junction box). Use clear silicone to seal it up, putting it on the bushing only and not the fridge insulation. Would look professional and easily removed.

Back