Great beer ! From coors ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcusKillion

Reaction score
All I can say is WOW ! That is a good beer . So my local liquor store gives me a sample of a beer and it is great . I buy a six and now I look at the bottle and it is made by Coors . Biggest surprise I have ever had . Coors finally got something right .
Batch 19 . Made from a pre prohibition recipe with Strisselspalt and Hersbrucker hops .
Had I known Coors made this I would not have even tasted it . Glad I was not told first .

I saw it once and had some at a local bar. No idea it was Coors, not a bad beer but not my favorite.

I've had it before, I like it. I was just as shocked when i found out it was a Coors product.

Just a bit of skunk flavor . Just enough to make it taste good but not skunky. My cousin came over and tried it and he really liked it also.

I tried it recently. I thought it was a decent beer, though not fantastic. A hell of a lot better than regular Coors, but still no replacement for a good microbrew lager. I'll probably never buy it again unless the only alternatives are Bud/Miller/regular-Coors.

I agree with the above post. I wasn't "wowed" at all, a decent beer (better than bud/coors/miller), but I would GLADLY take any craft brew over it. Or a Homebrew!

I had it on tap at BWW and I thought it was decent but kind of tasted like flowers. I Would get it again but nothing to go crazy over.

I go to the bar and ask what new or seasional beers they have.
They tell me prohibition lager.
I ask who brews it.
Coors.
I order a Blue Moon.
Sounds like I should have tried the new Coors brew...

I think we're gonna start seeing more and more of this as the big boys of brewing see craft beer take off. Why else do u think InBev bought out Goose Island?

The thing is that they kind of blow at doing it on there own. AB-Inbev's CEO is a genius at cutting costs and increasing profits but these types of guys just don't currently grasp how to make good beer at the moment. They will figure it out eventually, though. The good news is Torpedo and other SN beers are $7.50 now in my area, which is great. If they can compete with BMC's attempts (Shock Top IPA...lol) price-wise then even if BMC gets good at making flavorful beer, I still won't have to buy them.

I go to the bar and ask what new or seasional beers they have.
They tell me prohibition lager.
I ask who brews it.
Coors.
I order a Blue Moon.
Sounds like I should have tried the new Coors brew...

The "new" Coors brew vs the "old" Coors brew (Blue Moon)? Not really that much of a choice, really!

I'm glad it's pretty good, but I won't be buying it in all likelihood.

I was very irritated today when I stopped in Wisconsin to buy beer and there was a new craft beer display in the store. It was "Third Shift Brewing Company" complete with logo and cool rustic box.

It is also a Miller-Coors product.

I think having craft-like offerings is great- but not when they hide the real maker of the beer. http://www.thirdshiftbrewing.com/

I like the website, and the "band of brewers" as a craft brewery is a great tool.

But guess what- the "band of brewers" is Miller-Coors.

Yooper said:
I was very irritated today when I stopped in Wisconsin to buy beer ....

And you didn't stop to say hi?? I'm stunned... LOL

Well, Eau Claire isn't exactly local to me! :p

I haven't seen any ads for the ThirdShiftBrewing.com until today- when I saw billboards in Wisconsin.

It's obviously not publicized that this crafty beer is an offering by Miller-Coors. I got suspicious when I saw more than one billboard, and lots of shelf space. Then I knew it had to be either In-Bev or Miller-Coors.

Do to the damage that BMC has done to our nation when it comes to beer, I still wont buy it.

Not until they apologize for their actions.

I had this when I visited the brewery a few months back and was surprised it was very enjoyable for a coors product. I saw it recently in 6 packs and cases but it was priced around the same as some good crafts so I bought them. I'm sure I'll see it in some bars that don't have a good selection and its a worthy drink.

I bet Third Street Brewhouse in MN is thrilled....

3rd_zps25fce2c7.jpg

I tried it recently. I thought it was a decent beer, though not fantastic. A hell of a lot better than regular Coors, but still no replacement for a good microbrew lager. I'll probably never buy it again unless the only alternatives are Bud/Miller/regular-Coors.

Indeed . I am not planning on buying it again as I have enough of my own beer but if I had to buy a beer and the only alternative was as you said , yep this would be the one as I do not drink swill. I think I might buy it for something different to drink as normally I only buy Honey Brown lager but that is rare since I make a lot of brown ales.
$8.00 a six pack here in Wichita which is about the same as any other craft brew . So I would say they need to drop the price a bit and it would be more of a buy item for me .
just surprising since Coors is one of the nastiest beers I have ever had the displeasure of getting in my mouth .

The thing is that they kind of blow at doing it on there own. AB-Inbev's CEO is a genius at cutting costs and increasing profits but these types of guys just don't currently grasp how to make good beer at the moment. They will figure it out eventually, though. The good news is Torpedo and other SN beers are $7.50 now in my area, which is great. If they can compete with BMC's attempts (Shock Top IPA...lol) price-wise then even if BMC gets good at making flavorful beer, I still won't have to buy them.

$7.50?! Holy moly. The only brew in that price range in my market is Sculpin, at something like $9.

I get a bomber of Torpedo under $4.50 at my local liquor store and local market. I do live less than a hour away, but still...

Even then, I feel like Mammoth's Epic IPA is a better brew at $4.29.

If somebody gives me one, I'll try it, but given the wealth of awesome and obviously local microbrews here in Maine along with my own buttkicking homebrews, I'm good.

If nothing else, it shows that real microbrews are continuing to grow in popularity and the bigger guys are trying to get a piece of the pie. I'll be curious to see if this Coors product is still around in a year or two. Maybe it will be, maybe it won't. It's almost like McDonald's trying to put out what it calls healthier food choices. Yeah, okay, but I'll go elsewhere for that. At least for me, my mentality is nice try, but no thanks.

jamieofthenorth ; your right they are trying to get a piece of the great beer pie . Never happen , in a big way any how since they are too big and therefor too greedy to make it right and sell it for something people will pay . 8.00 is a bit high for this beer . Around here 7 to 9 buys all the good microbrews . If this were 4.50 a six I would buy some once in a while like when I am in between batches for what ever reason .

Waiting for folks at a place with limited choices and thought it would be like a Sam Adams lager. Am sad to report that it is a sweet mess. Should have ordered a Guinness . . .

I finally tried this. The literature on the six pack was suspiciously vague. "Brewed by a band of brewers", "gold medal award winner", no IBU, no mention of malts and hops, "Brewed in Texas", all made me think it was a macro brewery product. I have little against them, but I do prefer to support and purchase from the micro and local guys.

I biked over to a different store to pick up charcoal and they didn't have the selection I'm use to at my regular grocery store, so I grabbed a six pack of Third Shift Amber Lager. It poured beautifully clear and was perfectly carbonated, so my thought was yeah, this is from one of the big boys. I took a whiff and drink and it was surprisingly clean tasting, with mild malt and hop flavors. That pretty much confirmed it. I started the fire and as the charcoals burned I looked it up, and sure enough, I find it's made by Coors.

It's not great, but it wasn't bad. It was way better than the last micro/craft beer I had tried. It's easy drinking with more flavor than the usual BMC light beers, but nothing for me to say, "wow!" I was in the mood for some St. Arnold Lawnmower. Unfortunately, this store didn't have it so I had to settle for this.

Back