Belgian Pale Ale Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillyDave

Reaction score
Ok, here's my first crack at a BPA.

Grain:
7# 2-Row
2# Munich
1# Vienna
.5# Crystal 120 (for color and some sweet caramel flavors)

Hops:
Styrian Goldings .5oz at 60
Styrian Goldings .5oz at 20
Crystal 1oz at 20

Haven't decided on yeast yet, but it will be what my LHBS has in stock. They carry White Labs and dry yeast.

My main concerns are the 120 crystal and hops. I know the 120 is less than 5% of the beer but don't want it to influence it too much because its more for color than anything else.

As for the hops and hop schedule, I did some research on the interweb and could not find a definitive answer for a classic recipe, although there were many different recommendations out there. Any constructive input (positive or negative) would be greatly appreciated.

-Dave

Drop the crystal, you won't need it. You'll get color from the Munich and Vienna. Not sure I love the Vienna in here, it usually comes off as sweet to me. Maybe go with aromatic malt instead? Just thinking out loud, it really depends what you're going for. Some sugar or clear candi sugar is also an option to help you finish nice and dry.

Latest posts

Back