How can I get the chalk to dissolve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but aj is. [a chemist]

Actually I'm not and don't want to appear to be posing as one. It's probably apparent that I have a technical background but it is in electrical engineering. Brewing has forced me to pick up some chemistry along the way, however. Note that most of what we seem concerned with in consideration of brewing water, i.e. all the pH, concentration, activity, species distribution..., belongs to physical chemistry.

Why would someone new read this thread and be hesitate to post?

nothing like squandering a great opportunity to learn...ignore the science because it worked for you in the past...have you ever thought you were making good beer in spite of your water process...

Have you ever thought that comments like these might come across as condesending?

So I wasted an opportunity to learn. I am ignorant to the science of brewing and if my beer happens to turns out good, it is at best a fools mistake.

As to some of the other posts in this thread...some brewers are so smart that they don't know a gracious way to let a less experienced brewer have an opinion. They use a hammer and nail when a thumb tack would do. I can take it because I know in the process I will learn. Other just won't risk the criticism.

Actually I'm not and don't want to appear to be posing as one. It's probably apparent that I have a technical background but it is in electrical engineering. Brewing has forced me to pick up some chemistry along the way, however. Note that most of what we seem concerned with in consideration of brewing water, i.e. all the pH, concentration, activity, species distribution..., belongs to physical chemistry.

By the way Ajdelange I appreciate your efforts. My comment above was not ment as a direct criticism of you. I have experienced this in plenty of other threads. A softer touch wouldn't hurt but I would be missing out if you and other more experienced brewers chose to ignore my threads. I can take the debate. Please bring it. But know we all can't be on the same level. Thanks again.

when you finish your discussion with this:

I do it all the time with delicious results. Good luck.
Bigdaddybrew

when others have spent a great deal of time trying explain the detailed science as to why doing "it" might not be best possible solution to the problem probably scares more people away than my apparent condescension.

I stand by my statements. I've had good results with this process. That's not itimidating to a new member. Your apparent condescension might be. This thread is no longer productive. Thanks for your time.

Klnosaj, My apologies. Your post got hijacked. How do you dissolve chalk? A small amount of chalk can be dissolved with seltzer water. I do it all the time with delicious results. Good luck.
Bigdaddybrew

Thanks. This was all I wanted to know.

Like you, since I started building my water from scratch my beer has become exponentially better.

Hey has anyone clicked that link on the first page? It says its some hackers site or something

Hey has anyone clicked that link on the first page? It says its some hackers site or something

That got fixed. My site got hacked last week and I restored it and made it more secure over the weekend.

In case that happens again, let me know.

Kai

Back