Microscope Pictures of Dried Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewChem

Reaction score
Took some pix of hops a few weeks ago... here are some up-close images of dried yeast. Look sorta like Tic-Tacs...

yeast-10x-57005.jpg

yeast-40x-57006.jpg

yeast-40x-b-57007.jpg

Awesome! Is the sheen just some condensation from coming out of the fridge, some effect from your scope lighting, or just how the yeast looks?

I'm not sure about the sheen... they were room temperature when I took these pix. There also appears to be small, semi-translucent globules here and there on the surface. Maybe they're coated with something to help keep them together. Anyway... if I can, I'll put up some electron-microscope pix later. Love working in a science lab..!

Maybe the sheen is the emulsifier? Tell us about your microscope. I've got one that would never do this well.

Now for some really cool pix.... I took these with a scanning electron microscope of the same sample of dried yeast.... little beasties lying in wait for a sweet wort...!

30x Magnification
picture1-57011.jpg

100x Magnification
picture2-57012.jpg

500x Magnification
picture3-57013.jpg

2,000x Magnification
picture4-57014.jpg

4,500x Magnification
picture5-57015.jpg

Badass. You should repost your hops pics here and just have this as the microscope photo thread. What do lupulin crystals look like in the SEM?

You should do a side by side with some rehydrated yeast.. You know for science..

If I remember.... I'll take some pix from the yeast cake of the big RIS I have going. Those yeasties should be pretty tired after working that beer..!

Next time I have some leaf hops handy, I'll see what I can do with them on the SEM. Guess I should look at some grains next..?!

I would like the original image file, I must have a print of this in my office.

Just wondering, is this yeast that is dried, coming out of the package? Or is it yeast that has been rinsed, and then dried? Coming out of the packet aren't they surrounded in what is basically a clay/nutrient innoculate? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Too bad for those yeast, they won't be doing much active fermentation anymore :)

Pix appear to be all gone. Were they on a discontinued service?

(Yes, I know: ancient thread. It's the one I found when searching.)

Made me curious, so I searched google images. Search terms: microscope pictures of dried yeast homebrewtalk

This, I think, was one of them:

View attachment 659886
What's the magnification on that? At my age where I keep taking off my glasses and sticking my nose right up on stuff, I think that's what the granules actually look like... [emoji16]

What's the magnification on that? At my age where I keep taking off my glasses and sticking my nose right up on stuff, I think that's what the granules actually look like... [emoji16]

Geez, I don't know. When I use my microscope at 400x, I get a picture like this (and this is actually one of my photos). But these are live yeast cells (well, not the blue ones :) ), not dried yeast which, I'd expect, would look like they were solid somethings. I don't know how to tell, as what if I'd taken my pic below, grabbed the six cells in the upper right corner, and blown them up?

So, I don't know. I don't know if the picture above is blown up, and by what factor. But would we expect the individual cells above--assuming that's what they are--to be about the actual same size as the ones in my pic? I'd assume they'd be larger, but by maybe 50 percent or so.

yeast2.jpg

Those are dried yeast pellets. Yeast is made up of >90% water. If dried up it will shrink to about 1/10th the original size or about 1 micron. You'd need an electron microscope to image that with any visible detail.

Back