Wood collar not sitting flush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, first post here.

I built a wood collar for my keezer project, but it does not sit flush. One corner is raised, and if I press it down the opposite corner raises up. If I apply pressure to both corners simultaneously with enough force, it will lay flush.

I purchased a 3 year warranty for my 13 cu. ft. freezer so I don't want to use liquid nails. I purchased clear silicone caulk to make the seal, and I do not know if that will hold it securely.

I have a simple 2x4 collar where the two smaller boards sit inside the two larger boards. I drilled pilot holes, I used wood screws, 2.5". The collar sits on the outer perimeter of the top of the freezer, it doesnt dip down inside the freezer or anything like that.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem and how did you fix it or how would you fix it? I am unsure how to proceed. I have considered removing the screws and filing off some of the end of the board since my tools are limited. I relied on home depot to make the cuts, the lengths are accurate so no problem there. Thanks.

The 2x4's may curl or warp as they dry. You may be able to lay the collar on a flat floor and use weight to keep it flat for a while.

two ten pound weights on both raised sides is enough to hold it down. the wood has more flex than I thought. I think that if I let the silicone sealant cure for a week with a heavy weight on top it will begin to accept the new shape. If all else fails Ill spend another 5 dollars on 2x4's and another 5 on screws.

if the boards weren't glued, loosen the screws and drill new holes, one corner at a time, with the weights keeping it flat - More than likely, unless the cuts were not square, the holes and screws are partially to blame

I had the same problem. Glued it up real good and put a 45 pound barbell plate on each problem corner. Let it sit for a couple days. After it dried caulked the inside seam as well before installing the foam board....

It worked out.

This is in my room. Does anyone use co2 detectors? I dont want a leak to smother me or anything.

It's CO detectors that one buys, not CO2.

co2 detectors are sold, they are relatively much more expensive and intended for co2. I've not heard of anyone using them for kegging. co2 can pose a risk, I only wonder if the quantities my canister could release would be trivial or relevant and if anyone else has purchased a detector to that end.

also can kegs explode if they freeze? Im wondering what would happen if my johnson thermostat malfunctioned. trying to stay safe.

No kegs will not explode if they freeze They might split but if they did you probably did not want to be using that keg anymore anyways. I had a couple freeze a while back , and if they do, let them thaw till they are slushy and draw off all the liquor and you will have an Impreial of what ever was in the keg:D...At least thats what I did.

Also you will notice if your room is full of CO2, there is a distinct burning sensation in your nose when its exposed to CO2. It is the formation of carbonic acid in your nasal passages and your throat. CO is odorless and much more dangerous.

My advice to anyone reading this is to not buy wood from lowes or home depot. I have never gotten a board from either that hasn't warped later. I now buy all my lumber from Dixie land and haven't had any problems with warping.

Also you will notice if your room is full of CO2, there is a distinct burning sensation in your nose when its exposed to CO2. It is the formation of carbonic acid in your nasal passages and your throat.

:off:
A bunch of the late shift guys at the local brewery enjoy huffing it out of purged tanks. It's some kind of rush... not one I would repeat.

I have one more question, interested to hear your feedback. I just finished installing everything and bought a sixth barrel of fat tire. I did not flush the lines but I did wash the faucet and the keg coupler best as I could a couple days back. Will it spoil if it isnt properly sanitized, or just not last as long, or just not taste good?

Is it possible to get sick and not realize something has spoiled? thanks

My advice to anyone reading this is to not buy wood from lowes or home depot. I have never gotten a board from either that hasn't warped later.

The only way to get straight wood from them is to wait several weeks until the wood is finally good and dry, then rip it on a table saw to get a straight edge. They just spit it out too quickly to do it properly. A real lumber yard is always best when you can get to one.

Well I am very pleased that the basic silicone sealant was strong enough to hold down the not so square 2x4 frame. Its been working nicely. Im very excited, or pleased rather, and fat tire tastes very good on draft. It still feels pretty cool to pour a beverage from my own plumbing of sorts. I used two 35 lb weights to hold it down for two days. It smelled really bad in here while it cured, but the odor is gone now. I had to drill my own holes in the hinges to make the 2x4 work, other wise I would have had to buy some weird cuts of wood to make it work. That was hard to do, since putting the hole exactly where I wanted it to go proved tricky. I dont have a dremel with a cutting disk, but that would have been ideal. In the future I am going to draw a line on the hinges so I know where I can cut, then cut a long slit into the whole so that I can adjust the height according to my need. As it is, the left side sits too low in the back and compresses the stripping there, while in the front onthe same side it sits elevated by 1 mm. It still makes a seal though. Also the wood drifted some while the silicone was curing, and I need to remove the hinges and file off some of the wood on the back, to make it flush with the back of the freezer. The wood protrudes slightly over the back. I will also get some blue loctite(not too strong) and apply to the screws. I believe I will use bolts to secure to the wood, because I just want everything to have a good grip. I still need to apply some kind of insulation. Overall Im very pleased and feel quite thankful that I have this luxurious beer dispenser in my room. I guess I havent got used to it yet.

Back