Going to Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shizog4

Reaction score
Hey all, going to chicago 10/31-11/04 .... Was wondering about some good brew pubs/bars....being my 19 week old so somewhere that sells food with tables so I don't feel like the worst parent of the year :)
We will probably be stay area of ohare - north

3F is a must. I am going to the west coast on Thursdays and going to CCB.

While 3F is a great place, I think the loud death metal music is a little much for a 19 week old. Get there if you can but I'm not sure about the kid. They do have good food though. Two Brothers in Warrenville has decent food and is a bit more family friendly.

Revolution near milwaukee and armitage in chicago is good and if you go there, you will be close Piece and Map room. The Map room is a great beer bar, so while it doesnt fit your food requirement, I recommend it to any beer lover. Hop Leaf in andersonville is also a great restaurant with an amazing beer list, bottle and tap.

Zeppman said:
While 3F is a great place, I think the loud death metal music is a little much for a 19 week old. Get there if you can but I'm not sure about the kid. They do have good food though. Two Brothers in Warrenville has decent food and is a bit more family friendly.

I agree. Just recently I started a thread asking something similar as the OP and received some good recommendations. I, along with my wife and 2 year old, visited 3 Floyds on Thursday. They do play loud metal music, but my little girl loves music, so she just danced and had a good time while I sampled the beer which was worth the trip by the way. It might be a little much for a 19 month old, though, especially since it is a decent trip out of the city.
We went to Two Brothers yesterday along with my parents, who live about ten minutes from there. The food and beer were great and the atmosphere was a little more relaxed. I definitely recommend Two Brothers, but it is outside the city a little ways. If you are able to make the trip, I do recommend going there.

Babies would also be fine in either Goose Island brewpub. They serve a bunch of beers on tap you can only get in the brewpubs, and operate independently of ABInBev. If you go to the one on Clybourn make sure you go around the corner to Franks n Dawgs

Honestly, if you were going to Mickey Finn's, I'd say stop by Firkin which is just across the street and about 1 block north. Great beer list and some pretty good food to. Also, it's family friendly.

Zeppman said:
Honestly, if you were going to Mickey Finn's, I'd say stop by Firkin which is just across the street and about 1 block north. Great beer list and some pretty good food to. Also, it's family friendly.

+1, but they don't brew any of it.

You're right, forgot to include that fact. But at the same time, last I heard there was no brewing going on at Mickey Finns... I could be wrong, but my LHBS told me something in their system broke and they haven't fixed it for some time. I may be wrong though, as I have nothing to back this up but a few rumors.

I'm disappointed with the lack of Bangers & Lace mentioned in this thread... they are family welcome during the day, and the food is Michelin rated. http://bangersandlacechicago.com/

You also gotta stop by Piece Brewery & Pizzeria, it's within walking distance of B&L (or one train stop). All ages before 9pm. Their double IPA, Cameltoe, is great. As well as their oatmeal stout, Roland the headless. http://www.piecechicago.com/

And if you get some alone time from the baby, around the corner is Emporium Arcade Bar; great beers, tokens and arcade games from the 80s.

Regardless of whether or not 3 Floyds is family friendly, the OP said he was going to be staying north of O'Hare. 3F is awesome but it is a complete pain in the a** to get to if you are staying north of O'Hare. You're looking at 2 hours travel time (and that's not factoring in rush hour or construction).

All the recommendations are good but there are a couple others also. The Millrose brews good beer and has a good food selection. It's in the NW burbs in Hoffman Estates at the exit of 90 and Barrington Rd. The Wild Onion also has a brewery onsite as well as food. I think they are in Barrington which is right up the road.

Emmett's Ale House has a pretty good selection of beers and food. I think the closet one to O'Hare is in Dundee, IL which isn't too far. I also have to give a ringing endorsement to Gator's wingshack. They don't brew beer or have a great beer selection, but they have some of the greatest hot wings you'll ever eat!

Honestly - I wouldn't recommend Goose Island Brewpubs... I was very disappointed the last time I was there. They were out of most of the beers on their list, even their basic IPA. The ones they did have weren't anything to write home about. On top of that - their food was overpriced for the quality of it.

Hopleaf is great - in fact it's probably my favorite place in the city - but they don't allow kids... at any time. There's a sign on the door.

I would go for Revolution. Great food, and very good beer - though it can be very loud in there on the weekends. They have really bad acoustics, and the conversations get so loud in there that it's almost painful. Haymarket is good, so is Piece. Bangers and Lace is pretty good too, but it's more of a bar atmosphere... the "dining area" is not really separated much.

Honestly - I wouldn't recommend Goose Island Brewpubs... I was very disappointed the last time I was there. They were out of most of the beers on their list, even their basic IPA. The ones they did have weren't anything to write home about. On top of that - their food was overpriced for the quality of it.

I have never had that experience at Goose Island and i'm sorry that you did, but I'm thinking that it was likely an aberration. I agree with Reveloution being to loud sometime, but the brewery now has a tap room that is supposed to be much quieter, although in truth I haven't been there yet.

Hopleaf is great - in fact it's probably my favorite place in the city - but they don't allow kids... at any time. There's a sign on the door.

I would go for Revolution. Great food, and very good beer - though it can be very loud in there on the weekends. They have really bad acoustics, and the conversations get so loud in there that it's almost painful. Haymarket is good, so is Piece. Bangers and Lace is pretty good too, but it's more of a bar atmosphere... the "dining area" is not really separated much.

I wonder if this has anything to do with InBev buying Goose Island. It's been about 5 years since I've been there but they used to be top notch. Bourbon County Stout is still one of my favorite beers.

Also OP, if you are going to be in the city at all and are near Wicker Park, check out Piece. It's a brewery/pizzeria. The pizza is good and the beer is very good. Although, with children, make sure it's a lunch stop because the dinner crowd and later will definitely not be child friendly. The later it gets the more crowded it gets also.

I wonder if this has anything to do with InBev buying Goose Island. It's been about 5 years since I've been there but they used to be top notch. Bourbon County Stout is still one of my favorite beers.

Also OP, if you are going to be in the city at all and are near Wicker Park, check out Piece. It's a brewery/pizzeria. The pizza is good and the beer is very good. Although, with children, make sure it's a lunch stop because the dinner crowd and later will definitely not be child friendly. The later it gets the more crowded it gets also.

The way Goose Island operates is that the brewpubs do their own thing (each place brews different beers) but still serve the staples. They have a third brewery that does "everything that comes in a bottle or can". It's the operations and beers from that third brewery that is controlled by InBev.

FWIW, the brewers at the Clybourn pub that I've spoken with have all said the InBev people are great to work along side.

I def check out piece and goose island, both were in the plans last visit but swmbo wanted to go other places first since she hasn't been back since she moved to SoFla......thanks for the overwhelming response.....keep at it!!

One place I did like was ram pub, decent beer there but im sure the others listed are better

My swmbo loves the same beer, i got lucky

Maybe im in a grumpy mood today...

Both Revolution and Haymarket are great brewpubs
I HATE haymarket. Pete is a cool guy but the beers there are CRAP! Service...what service? The food...its getting better but still not good.

If you make it to Goose, please try a Green Line, you will thank me later.
Dont care for this beer at all. I love the premise but the beer itself...average at best. Something about the hop combo is just offputting.

As for places:
piece - During the day! Right off the blue line dont drive into the city from ORD.
MapRoom - enough said
HopLeaf - Done.

As for places:
piece - During the day! Right off the blue line dont drive into the city from ORD.
MapRoom - enough said
HopLeaf - Done.

While 3F is a great place, I think the loud death metal music is a little much for a 19 week old.

I was there early in the day and alot of kids under 5 years old where there and no loud music???? It was more of a lunch/ brew place, never been there for last call, so that I wouldn't know.

3F update..............

Three Floyds Brewpub

It is another special release Tuesday at the Brewpub. Bully Guppy, an American wheat ale aged in cognac barrels with peaches is now for sale in the pub. $20 for a 750 mL bottle and a limit of 1 per person.

3F is good but they're a little overhyped IMHO. And if you don't get there right when they open it takes forever to get a table. I went there @ 4 on a Saturday and they said it was a 2 hour wait. They also don't take reservations. It's about a two hour drive from me. Not worth it.

Revolution is pretty good.

Haymarket is ok. The old timey theme down to the facial hair is hilarious. They also brought a sweet 1940 Ford dually to a beer fest I went to.

Firkin is awesome!

I've heard good things about Lucky Monk. But haven't been there personally.

Isn't Half Acre up north somewhere?

Half acre is not too far north of irving park on lincoln ave...they are still just a brewery with samples and take home growlers/cans/bottles, with a plan to open a brew pub soon...also, new brew pub just south of diversey on lincoln ave called atlas...really solid beers, and good food...i highly recommend!

If revolution is on your list, go early. Especially on a friday/sat...place fills up quick!

Looks like I won't be able to go early today but prob later tonight so it'll have to be a place my 6 month old could be

Fountainhead is another good one for the fan during the day. They have a lot of great stuff on tap right now.

Wow. I live 2 minute walk from Piece. Try to visit The Map Room (Armitage and Hoyne). And a place called The Local Option. A bit further northeast is Hopleaf. Great selection. And a dive bar called quenchers bear western and charleston.
Welcome!

Back