Portland - out of towner wants to kmow which Rogue offerings to try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanso

Reaction score
Just touched down in portland in business. Have the evening, planning on going to Rogue and want to know some recommendations. Thanks!

Hanso said:
Just touched down in portland in business. Have the evening, planning on going to Rogue and want to know some recommendations. Thanks!

One of the few Rogue beers I like is Ménage a Frog. But go to Bailey's Taproom instead, best beer bar in Portland. :)

Ok yea I figured dead guy I've only read about so it makes sense to have the flagship as a starting point. thanks also for the Bailey's tap room tip.

leave town immediately... head north to Vancouver or south until you have removed yourself from the vile and fetid environs of scumcity... if you stay you run the risk of being insulted, pickpocketed, held up, molested or otherwise being detained by some slimy individual for no apparent reason... I am sorry that you have been forced to spend any time at all in portscum but since I assume that business makes you do so... you should spend the money to quickly get out! Portland is the armpit, or some other orifice, of the Northwest... an embarrassment to all who live in the region which is otherwise a paradise of a place... hopefully you get a chance to visit Seattle, Spokane, Eugene, Mt. Rainier, Crater Lake, the Washington vinyards, Bend, Olympic Nat'l Park, the coast of both WA and OR... and hopefully you don't judge the entire Pacific NW based on you visit to the craphole of Portland, OR... it is really a cool area- despite what Portland represents...

leave town immediately... head north to Vancouver or south until you have removed yourself from the vile and fetid environs of scumcity... if you stay you run the risk of being insulted, pickpocketed, held up, molested or otherwise being detained by some slimy individual for no apparent reason... I am sorry that you have been forced to spend any time at all in portscum but since I assume that business makes you do so... you should spend the money to quickly get out! Portland is the armpit, or some other orifice, of the Northwest... an embarrassment to all who live in the region which is otherwise a paradise of a place... hopefully you get a chance to visit Seattle, Spokane, Eugene, Mt. Rainier, Crater Lake, the Washington vinyards, Bend, Olympic Nat'l Park, the coast of both WA and OR... and hopefully you don't judge the entire Pacific NW based on you visit to the craphole of Portland, OR... it is really a cool area- despite what Portland represents...

???

Having lived in the Seattle area (other side of the sound really, but I spent most nights and weekends in Seattle) for 6 years and comparing to a business trip to Portland that lasted 3 weeks, I would have to say that both towns are great examples of Pac NW large cities (although I think there are more homeless scattered around Portland than Seattle, but they aren't bothering everyone or anything, unless you don't like bucket bashing music). As far as the OP, I've never had a bad Rogue beer, although I did try Dad's Little Helper, which is a malt liquor, and tasted like one. If you are going to the Rogue brewery, taste whatever they offer you, find out what you like, and then you can have a list of what you want to buy at the store/bar. There is also NO shortage of bars in Portland, from Irish pubs to holes in the wall, there is a bar for just about anyone there. Also a TON of great Korean places to eat, but I digress. Have fun!

Two things: Portland probably has the lowest consumption of soap per capita in the USA and Rogue Chocolate Stout is a very good beer.

I was in Portland in March and the Brutal IPA was very delicious! I suggest that one, you can't go wrong.

We're leaving for WA today. Great RV road trip. Already stopped at several breweries along the way. Portland is definately most metro of all Oregon cities but also a must stop for beer. Hopworks and Green Dragon. Rogue is played out in my book. Still a good beer.

roymullins said:

This seemed anti-Portland but it's obviously sarcasm because they mentioned Spokane as a nice place to visit.

My only advice is that you don't limit yourself to trying Rogue beers. Portland, and the rest of Oregon, has so much more beer to offer.

You are not one to talk. I've been to Lester.

Rogue beers: I enjoy the Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale - sort of a big hoppy red. I'd also recommend some of their stronger/more special offerings that you may not see too often (Double Dead Guy, Imperial IPA etc.), usually marked XS on the menu and served in a chalice.

But yeah, of course you shouldn't limit yourself to just Rogue beers - stop by Bailey's, Green Dragon, Hair of the Dog etc.

Mongrel said:
Did you pick up some of the Black Butte XXIV too? It's fantastic this year.

No, I spent that money on a bottle of Collage. Going to let it age for a year. Collaboration with Hair of The Dog. I did make my way to HopWorks. We get alot of Deschutes in SoCal but no Hopworks so I stocked up on the HUB.

Sounds like I'm missing out. Wish I could buy it all! Didn't you also suggest Caldera to me? Scored a bomb of the Mogli.

No, I spent that money on a bottle of Collage. Going to let it age for a year. Collaboration with Hair of The Dog. I did make my way to HopWorks. We get alot of Deschutes in SoCal but no Hopworks so I stocked up on the HUB.

Sounds like I'm missing out. Wish I could buy it all! Didn't you also suggest Caldera to me? Scored a bomb of the Mogli.
Hope you love the Mogli. HUB makes some great beers too.

Mongrel said:
Hope you love the Mogli. HUB makes some great beers too.

Holding it for Thanksgiving dinner. It was delicious at the bar. Thanks for the tip. PM if you are ever in San Diego, I'll point you in a good direction.

Alright. Some admirable hate for Portland there, although I don't share...

I've had a little over 28 hours, 7 of which was sleep and 12-14ish of which was business thus far. Baileys was closed last night due to a private function. Did not get around to it tonight, and Deschutes was in easy stumbling distance from my hotel.

*Packed* on a Monday night at 7PM. Apparently the food must be good... but I instead went for the maltiest of dinners: A deep red Belgian followed by the Armory XPA. The menu describes them slightly differently than I would:

Deep Red Belgian Specialty Ale IBU:36, ABV 8.9
Dark caramel malt flavors folded with dried fruit. Huge Belgian yeast esters and touches of East Kent Goldings Hops. Layers of complexity come together from the simple combination of water, malt, hops, and yeast. Snifters only.

Armory XPA IBU: 58 ABV 6.0
This experimental extra pale ale was the christening batch of beer brewed at the Portland pub by brewmaster Cam O'Connor. Enjoy.

Boasting esters that were moderate but not "huge" I still quite enjoyed this Belgian. The "XPA" was meh. Not bad but also not super noteworthy. I couldn't put my finger on it exactly.. definitely a nice and unique hop profile, but i didn't feel like the malt really provided much of interest and the depth was relatively lacking. Could be that if I had the XPA first and the Belgian second I would be singing a dift story.

Anyway. 36 hours trip to Portland ends tomorrow at noon, couldn't and didn't get carried away... Got a Dead Guy at Jake's Crawfish plus a few other good local beers out of it. No arm pit hair of the dog for me this time around, yet +1 on Portland, would visit again, not an armpit city, as most cities go at least. I prefer more time to absorb more of the armpit sweat of its filthy citizens. ;)

Get the sampler tray and try as many as possible. I have enjoyed every Rogue beer that I've tried.

Just thank God you didn't have to go to Stockton, Ca. on business! (Gonna get hate mail from Stockton'ers I guess) Portland may be the armpit of the Northwest, but it's still green, clean, and pretty laid back. (And I don't remember any cattle stockyards). And definitely brew centric. I'm sipping a Mac Tarnahan's "Summer Grifter" IPA, inexpensive, and delicious, and brewed in Portland. So maybe it's like the Sandra Bullock armpit of the Northwest)

We love you anyway. Can't help it, Portland loves a wingnut.

What exactly is it that Portland represents, by the way?
:mug:

Back