How long do i steep these hops for?? And how

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
This is my recipe ill be using but not sure how i go about using the hops as rhis is my first time using them.

1 Coopers dark ale can
1.5kg of amber dry malt
25g Hearlatua hops
25 g super alpha hops( steeped 68c)
500g light malt
Safale yeast
Head retetion agent

Where did you get the recipe? Is that all the info it gave? What kind of beer are you trying to make?

Assuming it is a 60 minute boil (I've never used Coopers cans), then one of the hops will go in at the beginning of that 60 minute boil, and the other one towards the end of the boil. The first hop addition is for the bitterness, later additions are for flavor and aroma. But would need to know your goal to give you more info.

Didn'i see this in another forum on here? Anyway,he's talking about steeping the hops,as if there were no plain (un-hopped) malts involved. But since you have 1.5kg of amber DME,you can use about half of that in a 2.5-3 gallon boil to do hop additions in the usual way. 60 minute bittering addition,then,say,20 & 10 minutes for flavor additions. Dry hopping is way better for aroma additions. Do not boil the Cooper's can!
Add the remaining DME & the Cooper's can at the end of the boil,or at flsme out as I do. Stir till completely mixed,cover & steep for 15 minutes to pasteurize. Then proceed as normal.

Back