Smokey taste in first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteZA

Reaction score
Ok, so I just tasted my first all grain. A simple heffeweizen, 60% wheat, 40% pils, brewed with danstar Munich yeast. So the funny thing is it has a bit of a smokey taste. We measured everything during the brew, and although I don't have the measurements with me, as I recall it the mash ph was high (7-8). I have read this could be the cause of the smoke taste? Anyone have experience with this? As a side note, it's not the most terrible beer I have ever tasted, just unexpected.

how did you treat your yeast? Improper yeast care can cause smokey phenolic flavors.

i have never used dry yeast, maybe list the yeast you used and someone might have experience with it.

But, what temperature did you ferment at (ambient? actual wort temp?)

Did you apply and direct heat to the mash tun while the grain was in it? You could have scorched some of your grain during mashing, which would lead to a smokey flavor.

I did BIAB, and I have a cake rack to keep the bag off the bottom of my keggle. The was some direct heat applied during the mash (it's electric so I am using a 3000 watt element), but I was careful to stir at these times.

Fermentation was at ambient, fairly static at 19C, definitely no major fluctuations. Fermented out really quickly, 5 days to bottle, with static brix reading for 48 hours before we bottled.

I wonder if the taste will mellow out or not.

I have seen some really horrible brews get better with age. You may as well let it sit for a month or two and come back to it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Back