Cleaning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmin9

Reaction score
I just received a glass carboy and assorting brewing supplies from a coworker includiong a wort chiller, hydrometer, siphon etc. All the basics I didn't have because i started with a Mr. Beer. My question is, this stuff has been sitting in her garage for going on 8 years now. What is the best way to clean all this stuff? The brown dust on the carboy is particularly unnattractive, and thick. Also, I'm not exactly sure how to clean the wort chiller. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Buy some PBW to clean... its great stuff http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/powdered-brewery-wash.html . If you don't have StarSan (for sanitizing) get that as well!

For cleaning the wort chiller, you could just soak it in this solution... and what I would do is also put it in a pot of boiling water, and boil it for 15-20minutes. That should ensure its clean and sanitized.

Oxyclean the carboy. Get a carboy brush. Oxyclean the chiller and use some sort sponge or pad to rub it. Thenmaybe boil the chiller. When I put mine the boiling wort it gets really shiney.

for the equipment use PBW to clean and StarSan to sanitize on brew day. just remember a cleaner is not a sanitizer and a vice versa. you cant sanitize anything if its not properly cleaned first, the baddies will just hide out under the grime then come out to play when the wart shows up.

clean off any green/blue spots on the chiller, those are toxic. for the rest dish soap will do. just don't clean the metal till its shiny. that dull finish is a protective oxide layer that will keep the metal from getting into your wort.

Back