Can I back sweeten Apfelwein in the keg after carbing it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes - just add whatever you use slowly, because it will foam like crazy.

As far as what sweetener to use and how much, I'd recommend pouring some 4oz glasses and experimenting, because the best sweetener to use depends somewhat on what is missing from the taste of what's in your keg. try cane and corn sugar, agave, fresh juice, etc, adding 1/8 tsp at a time and when you hit on something that works, then scale it up to 5 gal.

Although you can, I would suggest that you give it a little time to grow on you. If after the first half gallon you still don't like it dry, you can put a can of apple concentrate in there. The first keg I had got the ol' splenda treatment and I thought it was great for the first 3 pints. I got tired of it.

+1 on what Bobby_M posted.
That dry crisp taste will grow on you very quickly because it really does taste sooo good.

Yes - just add whatever you use slowly, because it will foam like crazy.

As far as what sweetener to use and how much, I'd recommend pouring some 4oz glasses and experimenting, because the best sweetener to use depends somewhat on what is missing from the taste of what's in your keg. try cane and corn sugar, agave, fresh juice, etc, adding 1/8 tsp at a time and when you hit on something that works, then scale it up to 5 gal.

should I melt the sugar in some water to mix it in? I do not think the sugar will readily dissolve into my cider easily. I want to sweeten enough to get rid of my tartness....i do not want to oversweeten because I know that the cider will mellow out eventually. However, I highly doubt itll last that long, hence why I want to do something now.

Just stir it into the cider samples with a clean spoon. You'll have to stir a bit, but it will dissolve. It will not take much at all. measure in 1/8 tsp of sugar or preferably less in a 4oz sample. 1/16ths are good for combining sugars. Drink or toss the samples afterwards, so you dont have to be real sanitary with these

Cane/corn sugar mix works if the juice has a decent apple taste but too thin. Agave is good if there is a big sour note but not any sweetness up front and original juice is good if not much taste at all.

Another option would be to freeze concentrate some of it. There was a recent post that ABC was taking a more lenient approach towards freeze concentration as long as it as done for home consumption. That will concentrate the taste. I'm not crazy about having it be so strong, but it would work with those labels

Just stir it into the cider samples with a clean spoon. You'll have to stir a bit, but it will dissolve. It will not take much at all. measure in 1/8 tsp of sugar or preferably less in a 4oz sample. 1/16ths are good for combining sugars. Drink or toss the samples afterwards, so you dont have to be real sanitary with these

Cane/corn sugar mix works if the juice has a decent apple taste but too thin. Agave is good if there is a big sour note but not any sweetness up front and original juice is good if not much taste at all.

Another option would be to freeze concentrate some of it. There was a recent post that ABC was taking a more lenient approach towards freeze concentration as long as it as done for home consumption. That will concentrate the taste. I'm not crazy about having it be so strong, but it would work with those labels

I still have a half lb of the raw cane I bought to boost the ABV and added the first day. I hope those slightly larger crystals can dissolve.

It may take some extra stirring, but they will. Also try white, corn sugar, honey, try to figure out the best match for whatever the taste is missing. Blue agave mixes easily.

If it's carbed in the keg already, you DO NOT want to put any granulated dry sugar in there. It will foam volcano on you (think Mentos and diet coke). You need to dissolve it in a small amount of water on the stove, then chill it down (or freeze it) and dump it in.

Latest posts

Back