leap year mead 3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulpfiction32

Reaction score
Can we start another group mead this year I know its not a leap year but

who cares. we can call it (insert funny quip) mead. Just a sugestion but

the leap year mead was alot of fun. Actually i think i need to rack that sucker

I just started me pepper mead, about to start my port, so I'll give you a maybe. Depending on the recipe, I may be in if I can free up a carboy.

I was deployed last year, so I'm definitely interested this year. I also like an idea i saw on here the other day for a birthday mead. My 1/4 centennial (25th b-day) is coming up in a few days and i was thinking of doing that too.

The Cherry vanilla sounds good to me. Raspberry vanilla is a possibility as

well. Raspberry in primary vanilla in secondary. To be honest im up for a

idea as long as cloves are not involved

This sounds good!!! I am in (might be starting a little late if we start on Prez Day)

I like the idea of a raspberry/cherry vanilla mead (whatever fruit you guys pick). I think i'll put together a couple gallons of whatever recipe is decided on.

How about a lemongrass mead? Fruit has been done to death, lets find something that we don't already have in carboys or bottles.

This is similar to the one I have going now. Only difference is the Meadowfoam Honey which has a vanilla taste to it:

3 Gallon Batch
3 Gal Tart Cherry Juice
9 lbs Honey, Meadowfoam
1 lbs Dark Sweet Cherries, Dried
8.0 oz Tart Cherries, Dried
2 Vanilla Beans (Secondary)
1 Pkgs Lalvin D-47 w/6.25 gm Go-Ferm
4.50 gm Fermaid-K
4.50 gm DAP

Step 1: Put 1 qt water in fermenting pail. Add dried cherries and soak overnite.
Step 2: Mash berry mixture with hand blender. Add Cherry Juice and honey and mix/aerate well. Add Fermaid-K + DAP. Cover with sanitized cloth or lid.
Step 3: Aerate every 12 hours and check for end of lag phase (foaming). At end of lag phase add Fermaid-K + DAP.
Step 4: Aerate twice daily until 1/3 sugar break.
Step 5: Once past 1/3 break, stir the must daily (as opposed to aerating) until the 2/3 sugar break.
Step 6: At 1/2 sugar break add Fermaid-K + DAP and mix well.
Step 7: Rack to secondary when finished (2-3 weeks) and add vanilla beans. Top off with cherry juice. Rack after 2 months and every 1-3 months until clear then bottle.

Hightest, how does the posted recipe look to you? I'm thinking I might need some pectic enzyme in there. Yes/no?
The recipe looks quite nice. Although fresh cherries have pectin, I'm not sure if it's a concern with dried cherries. Yet, it can't hurt to add the appropriate amount of pectic enzyme.

My thoughts....
  • Consider macerating the dried cherries in cherry juice rahter than in water
  • Make sure the dried cherries do not have preservatives added.
  • 71B might be a better choice for enhancing the fruit character of this mead
  • I do not find it necessary to aerate every 12 hours, or twice daily, unless the OG is > 1.130
  • Consider using my "new" yeast pitching technique discussed earlier this week

You did ask... :D

I'm going to be at least a week, maybe over a month late on making this, but I will definitely make it. It sounds delicious!!

Yeah, the next brew I do is going to be my port, but ironically it is a cherry vanilla, with a mix of dried and canned cherries. But assuming I can get another carboy opened up, I will do this one as well. I may just be late by a bit.

Back