Help order & rate the beer selection for my Tasting Party!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you rate this beer tasting?

• 10 Amazing

• 9 Great

• 8 Good

• 7 Average

• 6 Fair

• 5 Neutral

• 4 Poor

• 3 Disappointing

• 2 Do you drink Beer?

• 1 Absolutely Abysmal

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stevorino

Reaction score
It's a little late to buy new beers-- but given my $35 limit on the east coast (and help from my fridge), I think I did pretty well. You'll notice that there aren't' many Belgian styles represented -- that's cause they cost too much per bottle and because half the guys attending are pretty casual drinkers and I didn't want to completely scare them away, haha.

Also, you'll notice we have Heineken Can vs. bottle pretty early. Some of the guys wanted to taste skunking-- and I heard on the Sunday Session that you can taste the skunk difference if drinking those side by side-- so we'll see!

Here's the list, in order of how I initially intend to drink them (different flights separated by spaces) -- If you have any suggestions on the order to enjoy, I'd love to hear it!

Style # / Style Name / Pg Ref / Beer

1 – Light Lager - Pg 1 – Bud Light
1C – Prem. Am. - Pg 2 – Heineken Can vs. Heineken Bottle
1D – Munich Helles – Pg 2 – Weihenstephaner
1E – Dortmunder Export – Pg 3 – DAB
6C – Kolsch – Pg 10 – Harpoon Summer
15 – German Wheat/Rye- Pg 29 – Paulaner Hefeweizen
7B – California Common – Pg 13 – Anchor Steam

9D – Irish Red – Pg 16 – Smithwick’s Irish Ale
8C – ESB – Pg 15 – Fuller’s ESB
19A – Old Ale – Pg 43 – Fuller’s Celebration Ale

10A – American Pale Ale – Pg 18 – Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
10B – American Amber Ale – Pg 19 – Avery Redpoint Ale
14B – American IPA – Pg 27 – Dogfishhead 60 Minute IPA

4 – Dark Lager – Pg 6 - Shiner Bock & Warsteiner Dunkel
10C – American Brown Ale – Pg 18 – Brooklyn Brown
11C – North English Brown – Pg 20 – Newcastle
12A – Brown Porter – Pg 21 – Samuel Smith’s Taddy Porter

13A – Dry Stout – Pg 23 – Guinness Draught
13B – Sweet Stout – Pg 23 – Mackeson XXX
13C – Oatmeal Stout – Pg 24 – Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout

18B – Belgian Dubbel – Pg 40 – Chimay Red

:mug: Award for those who finish: :mug:

:tank: Rogue’s Brown Hazelnut Nectar :tank:

You should move that Dubbel to dead last. I think the rest of the progression is pretty good. The reason being is that Chimay has legs of its own, and can be the coup-de-gras (sp?). The final beer in the tasting :D. The only other change I'd make would be to bump the bock up into the higher position in the Dark Lager, my concern being the sweetness could mask some of the following impressions.

I don't have anything to add to the above. I just wanted to say that this is a great idea. I may have to get some friends together at some point and try this myself. I love the idea of a progressive beer tasting to expose people to some different beer styles and the differences between the styles.

:rockin: :mug:

I don't have anything to add to the above. I just wanted to say that this is a great idea. I may have to get some friends together at some point and try this myself. I love the idea of a progressive beer tasting to expose people to some different beer styles and the differences between the styles.

:rockin: :mug:

It was about 26 months ago that I attended my first one of these. I walked in a die-hard Coors light fan. I walked out a homebrewer. :mug:

I think people have to have an open mind going into it, but I'd say it usually converts a good percentage of the casual drinkers into real beer drinkers. Plus, it's good for homebrewers cause it let's us figure out what to brew next :rockin:

You should move that Dubbel to dead last. I think the rest of the progression is pretty good. The reason being is that Chimay has legs of its own, and can be the coup-de-gras (sp?). The final beer in the tasting :D. The only other change I'd make would be to bump the bock up into the higher position in the Dark Lager, my concern being the sweetness could mask some of the following impressions.

Done and Done :) (Is that what you meant by moving the bock up?)

I personally think there are better examples of IPA's than DFH 60. But that could just be because I am a west coaster. I don't know where you live or what's available by you though.

Everything else looks pretty good though. If you really want to taste the skunk leave that Heineken bottle in the sunlight for a bit.

I would say DFH is more like an imperial IPA. I would get a regular American IPA to get into the mix. Maybe a west coast brewery or something like Bells 2 hearted may be good. I love DFH, but I think something in between would be good.

Yeah, I was really having a hard time figuring out IPA-- but DFH 60 min was in the style guide under an IPA (I was initially going to get it for Imperial IPA).

I was broken hearted to learn they didn't have any normal size rogues in stock (just giant bottles that were pretty expensive) and I wanted some Russian River-- didn't have that either (do they even bottle?)

Yeah, I was really having a hard time figuring out IPA-- but DFH 60 min was in the style guide under an IPA (I was initially going to get it for Imperial IPA).

I was broken hearted to learn they didn't have any normal size rogues in stock (just giant bottles that were pretty expensive) and I wanted some Russian River-- didn't have that either (do they even bottle?)

Russian River only bottled a couple special beers for a while, but the Blind Pig IPA, and Pliny the Elder are just starting to be bottled. It is extremely limited release though.

Where are you located? It will make it easier to tell what you might find by you. Stone IPA would be good to use. Lagunitas, Avery, Mad River, Green Flash, are all available by me and really good. I am sure there are plenty of great micro IPA's you could use that are available near you.

This is a great idea - where can one get some more information on this kind of tasting? We do a simple winter beer tasting, but nothing like this -

Russian River only bottled a couple special beers for a while, but the Blind Pig IPA, and Pliny the Elder are just starting to be bottled. It is extremely limited release though.

Where are you located? It will make it easier to tell what you might find by you. Stone IPA would be good to use. Lagunitas, Avery, Mad River, Green Flash, are all available by me and really good. I am sure there are plenty of great micro IPA's you could use that are available near you.

I'm in Atlanta, GA.

This is a great idea - where can one get some more information on this kind of tasting? We do a simple winter beer tasting, but nothing like this -

Go to the BJCP website and it lists the styles-- then go to your favorite brew store and buy! Everytime I've been a part of it we've gone to 'Total Wine' (www.totalwine.com) cause they sell individuals by the bottle and usually have a pretty darned good selection.

I've also done it where everyone went and got 6 packs and just threw it together-- but I think this will end up going smoother.

I'm in Atlanta, GA.

Looks like you should be able to get Stone, Lagunitas, and Mendocino Brewing there, all have excellent IPA's. There are also a lot of micro breweries and brewpubs there, so you might have some good ones I have never heard of out here.

It is an interesting idea to run through the style guide as such. This might be fun for people who don't drink much and you could definitely expand some horizons.

I have started studying for the BJCP certification and I think I will be doing tasting groups of one style at a time to see what differences I can discern. I might go lighter on the american lagers and hit up the more interesting beers a little harder. But all in all this is an interesting idea.

I do agree there are a lot of really good IPAs out there that would better represent the style, but again, being from San Diego I think we're sort of saturated.

Yeah, you guys in California are spoiled-- after listening to the Brewing Network, I've learned that Georgia brewing is pretty crappy. There's two major ones in GA: Terrapin and Sweetwater.

While Terrapin is pretty good, it's still coming to market and their better beers are hard to find. Sweetwater is overrated ****.

Looks like you should be able to get Stone, Lagunitas, and Mendocino Brewing there, all have excellent IPA's. There are also a lot of micro breweries and brewpubs there, so you might have some good ones I have never heard of out here.

No Stone in Georgia. :(

But, I think Sweetwater's IPA would be an excellent choice.

If you want something not local then I would choose Great Divide Titan or the DFH 60 min. I think DFH 60 is a pretty good American IPA. If you are looking for an IIPA I do not think DFH 90min is a good choice, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is available in Georgia and is the best IIPA you can get here (IMO).

No Stone in Georgia. :(

But, I think Sweetwater's IPA would be an excellent choice.

If you want something not local then I would choose Great Divide Titan or the DFH 60 min. I think DFH 60 is a pretty good American IPA. If you are looking for an IIPA I do not think DFH 90min is a good choice, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is available in Georgia and is the best IIPA you can get here (IMO).

That's too bad. I don't live there obviously so I was using the website for a bottle shop there. I don't know if you are anywhere near Green's, but they have it on their site, and they claim to have "Atlanta's best selection of gourmet beers".

I go to total wine to create my own 6pack usually once a week; and IPAs are always in the mix. Lagunitas IPA is there and its a very good IPA, but I do like DFH60 and 90. What part of ATL are you in? The only Total Wine I'm familiar with is in North ATL (kennesaw) and is pretty close to me.

OT: We're having an ATL HBT brew day and you should go.

That's too bad. I don't live there obviously so I was using the website for a bottle shop there. I don't know if you are anywhere near Green's, but they have it on their site, and they claim to have "Atlanta's best selection of gourmet beers".
Yeah, Green's is excellent. I think the one on Buford Hwy claims to have every beer distributed in Atlanta.

Link: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=71421

Yeah, Green's is excellent. I think the one on Buford Hwy claims to have every beer distributed in Atlanta.

more off topic:
I saw on their website they'll be getting Oaked Bastard in Sept... So apparently somebody is going to start distributing Stone in GA soon; I hope.

Too bad on the Stone - very good IPA. Bridgeport makes a very good session IPA. The Dogfish Head 60 is a good east coast choice though.

Overall good list - sounds like a good list. What are you serving between rounds - water and crusty bread works pretty well.

more off topic:
I saw on their website they'll be getting Oaked Bastard in Sept... So apparently somebody is going to start distributing Stone in GA soon; I hope.

The Ruination is soooooooooooo good. One of my all-time favorites.

I go to total wine to create my own 6pack usually once a week; and IPAs are always in the mix. Lagunitas IPA is there and its a very good IPA, but I do like DFH60 and 90. What part of ATL are you in? The only Total Wine I'm familiar with is in North ATL (kennesaw) and is pretty close to me.

Yeah, that's the one I was at last night.

I live down near Emory right now but grew up in Marietta.

When's the ATL HBT brew day? I'm in!

Ya'll go to Brew Depot in Alpharetta for supplies?

Beerrific and I use that one fairly often (I'll be there tomorrow); The other guys on the southside probably go to the one in Fayetteville.

No. Although I am not a member, I have been going to a few Covert Hops meetings. They meet ITP most of the time, Twains, 5 Seasons, etc.

Same here; except only one Covert Hops meeting. However, both clubs meet very far away from my house.

The Beer Party was a success!

Everyone really enjoyed it, here are some notes for my future reference and to help those who are planning one too:

- As you can see in my initial post, there's a lot of lager styles in the first flight. In retrospect, I would've liked to see more beers in the pale ale/brown ale categories-- as these were the most popular among the majority of participants.

- We had some good music on in the background, a cooler full of cold bottled water, some peanuts and crackers, and since we were outside on a back patio, a place to dump rinsed glasses-- all really helped it move along.

- With each style we had someone new read off some of the overall impressions/history/characteristics of the style from the Style Guidelines-- in a quick 15 second blurb. This succeeded in educating everyone while not inhibiting conversation about each beer.

- When it was all over, everyone demanded that we do it again at next year's annual reunion and focus on a few different styles (specifically Hefeweizen, Amber Ale, & Brown Ale).

- We spent around $42 ($6 per person) and had around 23 beers including a few donations. This was a pretty good amount as most people felt a slight buzz but nobody was drunk-- it was also done in a little over an hour.

Back