Uncle Sam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did my taxes this weekend. It wasn't pretty due to a couple of stupid mistakes I made. The end result was that I owed a decent chunk to the feds and an even bigger chunk to the state.

After seeing the grand total, I decided my best course of action was to get a good, thick buzz on, so I poured myself a pint of SN's Bigfoot.

Then, in a cruel twist of fate, I spilled my barleywine all over my paperwork.

Uncle Sam is a f*cking b*stard. He's taking my money AND my beer.

-walker

Well, remember that you now own a nice big deduction called "mortgage interest paid". should help you down the road.

Truble said:
Well, remember that you now own a nice big deduction called "mortgage interest paid". should help you down the road.

yeah... next year will be a different story. I just f'ed up this year with some (under)estimated payments. :eek:

Didn't you move from CA last year, too? That's a major PITA. My wife lived in VA for part of one year, and NC for the rest, and it was a real headache getting the state side of things worked out.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Didn't you move from CA last year, too? That's a major PITA. My wife lived in VA for part of one year, and NC for the rest, and it was a real headache getting the state side of things worked out.
yeah, that two-state stuff was a pain for the filing. I had to divide everything up into a "CA pile" and a "NC pile". Not TOO big of a deal, but just an extra headache.

The main thing was f'ing up my estimated payments. I underpaid the feds, so not only did I owe them more, I also get penalized.

Worse that THAT booboo was that I totally forgot (for some idiotic reason) to send estimated payments to the state! BIG underpayment and BIG penalty.

SWMBO was not happy with me. :eek:

2 years ago my wife and I had to file taxes in 3 states, NY, SC, and VA. I think we had about 5 or 6 W-2's combined. That was a fun year.

We made a brew for tax session "IRS Bitter" "a bitter beer for a bitter time." It was a rye beer, nice Golding hops. Really tasty. I have posted the label in my gallery as well as here for those who might like to check it out. The back-ground is a take off of the famous IRS form and we actually had to submit it to the feds for label approval.

IRSBITTER.jpg

That's awesome! Does that say form 1040 OG (ALE)? The print is a little small for me to tell.

the whole form is a rip-off, tongue in cheek jab at the IRS. It is an Individual Ale Return, for 1.040 OG, on and on. I wish I had a copy of the text or a better image. I have a couple labels, maybe I'll see if I can get a better scan.

I got a letter a couple of weeks ago threatening to non-renew my wife's teacher's license. They said I hadn't paid my 04 taxes. I had to print out the check, take off work and go see them. I will have to say, though, at least the lady I dealt with was very pleasant and apologetic.

Funny thing is, I had been trying to get ahold of them about a rebate they owed me. I'd call and the voice message would say it would be a 2-5 minutes wait, after 30 minutes I'd hang up. This happened several times. After I got the letter and called the number for people who owe them money, it answered on the 3rd ring. hmmm....

Imperial Walker said:
Uncle Sam is a f*cking b*stard. He's taking my money AND my beer.
At least with the money you can take comfort in knowing that it's all being well spent. :rolleyes: :) (please choose only one smiley). :D

Back