Star-San in airlock bubbling up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME_Brewski

Reaction score
Pretty active fermentation going on and my starsan is actually bubbling uot of my airlock. Is this a big issue as long as I watch it and top it off or should I just top off with some pure water?

ForumRunner_20130426_101720.jpg

You can either keep topping it off with starsan,or get some cheap grocery store vodka & use that. It doesn't foam up & out like starsan does. And any nasties that get through the lil holes in the airlock cap die of alcohol poisoning.

You are fine other than I pretty much live and die by a blow off tube instead of a airlock. One little explosion in my wifes closet and I learned the value of a blow off tube....That and to buy a comfortable couch

I used star-san at first and had the same problems. Someone left an ultra cheap bottle of vodka at my house the last time I hosted a poker tournament and I've been using that ever since.

i have a blow off attached to my airlock.....works really well..... I learned my lesson with a big ipa ---

Alright, I will grab some vodka for the future. My OG was around 1.045. It is a 5.5 gal batch in a 6.5 gal fermentor. Anyone think I could have a blow off?

Yup the one I had was a 1.040 that made a mess. I do not remember the yeast I used but sometimes they are just going to blow no matter what.

By the way mine was 6 gallons in a 8 gallon bucket

Alright, I will grab some vodka for the future. My OG was around 1.045. It is a 5.5 gal batch in a 6.5 gal fermentor. Anyone think I could have a blow off?

Anything is possible. I've had 6 gallon batches not even come close to blowing off out of my bucket, but I've had a 5 gallon batch that I was lucky I saw it when it did.

Now, I just usually start with a blow off tube, then after it looks like things have calmed down, I swap it out for an air lock.

If you use fermcap in the boil to reduce the chance of boilovers then I don't think you need a blowoff tube. I pitched a starter into a batch a couple of weeks ago. It was the first starter I'd made on a stirplate and WOW did that thing take off. Lag time was a few hours and once it started the airlock was bubbling 6-8 times per SECOND. The krausen didn't even come close to the airlock.

Back