Tripple IPAs sweet and unhoppy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granpooba19

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love IPAs and IIPAs, but I've tried Dogfish Head's 120 minute and Fegley's Hop'slutely (a triple IPA) and I find them almost too sweet with no hop bitterness and no bite to them.

Am I missing something or are these just bad triple IPAs?

I agree with you about DFH 120 minute. It's thick and sweet, almost cloying. I never had the other one you mentioned.

The best I've ever had was by Hoppin' Frog. Their "triple IPA" was fantastic- hoppy, with a great hops nose and flavor that bowled me over.

This Fegley's is the same...very cloying, I'm about to pour this one out. Shame too, was like 11 bucks for a 4-pack. I'll have to see if I can find the Hoppin' Frog

This Fegley's is the same...very cloying, I'm about to pour this one out. Shame too, was like 11 bucks for a 4-pack. I'll have to see if I can find the Hoppin' Frog

I can guarantee that you can't! The distribution area is very small, and the owner (when I visited) told me he can't even keep up with the distribution of his current clients!

I have a friend who loves DFH 120, he said you have to age them for a long time, like over a year long time. He ordered a case and I told him I'd buy a few bottles so I can put them aside to try later.

I have a friend who loves DFH 120, he said you have to age them for a long time, like over a year long time. He ordered a case and I told him I'd buy a few bottles so I can put them aside to try later.

I hope that's the case. I bought two, drank one and stuck the other in a basement closet since the bottle says it ages well.

Guess I'll give that one a taste sometime next year.

I can guarantee that you can't! The distribution area is very small, and the owner (when I visited) told me he can't even keep up with the distribution of his current clients!

I could have sworn I saw the Triple IPA here. I know I've seen their other beers around. But I could just be confused. If they're distributing to VA, I wouldn't be shocked if it's in NJ too.

And I agree about 120. I haven't had the other one. It's more a Barleywine than an IPA. I still say it's worth a try once or twice, but that's it. I've tried one fresh and one with a couple years on it. I don't need to have it again.

Hopslam's about to become available - starting January 2013. That's my hands down favorite.

Oops - triple IPAs: founders has a pretty good one. Thick and mildly syrupy, but bitter as hell.

granpooba19 said:
I hope that's the case. I bought two, drank one and stuck the other in a basement closet since the bottle says it ages well.

Guess I'll give that one a taste sometime next year.

I hope so too, I have a hard time putting beer aside, especially for a year.

Back