How do I avoid over-carbonating my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I kegged my beer last night in a corny keg, by sealing the lid at 30 psi and then lowering the psi to 15. The beer is in the fridge at 35 degrees F with the CO2 attached.

I won't be back to my house for 3 days and was wondering if I have set the psi to the correct pressure? Should I merely start tasting the beer after 3 days at 15 psi and disconnect the CO2 once it's reached the desired level of carbonation, or is there a formula for computing psi/volume/temperature/time?

Best,

Steve

The pressure you set will depend on the temp the beer is at and the volumes of CO2 you want. I do the set and forget method and keep mine to 10 psi

Here's a table that will help.
CARBONATION.png

Thanks for the chart.

I'm interpreting it to mean that if I want to carbonate my Irish Red Ale at 2.47, then I set my psi at 10 if the temperature is 36 degrees F.

From what I've read so far it should take about 2 weeks to fully carbonate - is that correct? Is there any way of computing exactly how long it should take given "x" amount of beer? lol - I guess you can figure out that I'd like to taste the beer. It'd had been in the primary for 4 weeks, so I don't think that it's green.

Best,

Steve

Thanks for the chart.

I'm interpreting it to mean that if I want to carbonate my Irish Red Ale at 2.47, then I set my psi at 10 if the temperature is 36 degrees F.

From what I've read so far it should take about 2 weeks to fully carbonate - is that correct? Is there any way of computing exactly how long it should take given "x" amount of beer? lol - I guess you can figure out that I'd like to taste the beer. It'd had been in the primary for 4 weeks, so I don't think that it's green.

Best,

Steve

You are reading it correctly. I can never wait either, so I use a mix of set and forget and force carbonation. I cool the beer down in the fridge over night. Then I attach the gas and dial the pressure up to 30 psi, lay the keg on its side and rock it back and forth with my foot until I can't hear bubbles going in any more. Then I sit the thing upright and disconnect the gas and attach a tap. Bleed off pressure and then tap a pitcher of foam (usually winds up being about a pint). This usually brings the pressure under 10 psi. Then I attach the gas at the pressure on the chart overnight. It is good to go the next day.

Latest posts

Back