Help me choose my hops for DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckus95

Reaction score
I went on a hop buying binge recently, and my freezer is overflowing with hops. So, I think that it is time to brew a big DIPA. I have at least 1/2 lb of each of the following:

Apollo
Belma
Columbus
Sorachi Ace
HBC 342
Meridian
Bravo
Simcoe
Nugget
Legacy
Summer
Polaris

I do not have any experience with any of these except Columbus, Nugget, and Simcoe. I like citrus bombs with some pine in the background. My grain bill will be mostly 2-Row with some melanoidin for some color and malt backbone. I'm thinking of bittering with Columbus or Nugget; and Simcoe for flavor and dry hop.

Does anyone have any suggestions of combinations of the remaining hops that will give me a big citrus aroma? Thanks for your help.

I recently made an IPA and dry hopped with Soriachi Ace. Even though it has a high alpha acid content it is an excellent hop for late additions and dry hopping. It has a very unique lemon tartness and a wonderful smell and aroma.

Sounds like you would enjoy the Three Floyd's Dreadnaught clone... or even the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid clone. Check them out. Both are searchable through this website.

I've lumped these into families of similarity:

Apollo - dankest of the bunch, super resiny, marijuana, citrus
Columbus - dank, resiny, herbaceous, citrus

Simcoe - a tropical blast of pine cone fruits (quite unique, not dank though)

Belma - strawberry, orange, earth, pineapple, grapefruit
HBC342 - orange, watermelon, earth, citrus (this is a hop blend - 4 diff hops)

Sorachi Ace - lemon floor cleaner (avoid unless you want a lemon focused beer)

Nugget - herbal, peachy, earth, citrus
Bravo - spice, herb, fruity, floral (my choice for bittering this beer)

Legacy - currant, spice, floral (a bit out of place for an AIIPA)
...not sure of the others you mentioned, but I'm sure you could search them on here

Back