Too Much Vanilla!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunshbox

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish red two weeks ago. I racked it onto a whole vanilla bean that I cut open and soaked in moonshine. Well, I got busy and accidentally left the bean in for 3 days. The beer tastes like vanilla extract. Any ideas as to what to do with this other than brew another batch and been them? BTW, this was a 5 gallon batch of probably the best Irish red I have ever had.

My first beer was a vanilla bourbon porter (loosely based on Denny's recipe, great stuff btw) and the vanilla was waaay too strong at first. But after another month or so in the bottle the vanilla had faded significantly. Let your beer sit for a few weeks and give it another taste. Good luck.

Yea, vanilla really fades a lot. 5 gallons per bean isn't outrageous, but it will seem really strong at first. My chocolate stout has 2 beans and the first few weeks it's too vanilla-y as well.

Thanks everyone. I put it in the keg today and it is already fading. I am going to lager this for a couple of weeks before I put it on tap. I will let everyone know and may be looking for some tasters.

Back