Scheduling help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a dogfish head 60 minute clone next. My problem is sorting out timing as i will be traveling intermittently over the next few months so if I wait until I have a clear 3-4 week stretch I won't start it for the next couple of months at the earliest. I had a recipe from clone brews that was adapted upon advice from lhbs (happy to post recipe if it makes any difference to recommendations below).

Clone brews says 1 week primary, move to secondary to dry hop and bottle when fermentation is complete.
Lhbs says 1 week in primary, dry hop for a week then move to secondary for a week.

I see I have a few options.

1) I can wait until I am settled for a while (not ideal as I won't start it for almost 2 months).
2) I can do 2.5 weeks split between primary and secondary based on how people think I should split it. This could work for clone brews option but seems a bit short.
3) I can do 4.5 weeks split between primary and secondary but if I move it it need's to be done in the first 2.5 weeks.
4) I can do >6 weeks split between primary and secondary but if I move it it need's to be done in the first 2.5 weeks or at 4.5 weeks

They will bottle condition if that makes any difference. I know there is debate about whether a secondary is needed so I'm happy to leave it in primary for whole time if that is recommended but I seem to recall people saying move to secondary if dry hopping. Don't want to start the primary/secondary argument again, hso appy to go with consensus (or one of the HBT gurus recommendations!).

What do people think?

Thanks in advance.

Probably the most critical period is being able to get the dry hops out after 7-10 days...it can sit in primary as long as you need it to, then work your 2 week availability around the start and end of dry hopping.

I agree. Drop the secondary and schedule your brew around being there for dry hopping. It helps to be around for the first couple days of primary too though. In case you get some blow off or some other event that needs attended to. After 2 or 3 days it can sit patiently and wait.

Back