Has anyone read "Brewing Better Beer: Master Lessons for Advanced Homebrewers"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, the first three reviews, especially the first two, who were experienced brewers and scientists, kinda made it sound like a book I would like to read. I mean, they say it's not papazian or palmer, it's NOT a basic book, it really is a look into one guy's (arguably probably one of the to 10 homebrewers out there) process. That sounds like it would be a good deal of information, it sounds like it's about the decisions he makes and why.

It sounds very valuable. I really like the end of the third review I read "If you want a book to tell you what to do, go pick up How to Brew. If you want a book to tell you how to decide for yourself what to do, and how to think about brewing, buy this one. "

Makes me actually want to look into it.

"If you want a book to tell you what to do, go pick up How to Brew. If you want a book to tell you how to decide for yourself what to do, and how to think about brewing, buy this one. "

I think that's a very accurate summary of the book. I was able to refine my process as well as add a few new tricks to my hat after reading the book. I definitely enjoyed it. I checked it out from my local library, might be an option for you vs buying it.

Thanks guys...I'm convinced...hopefully Santa is reading this thread!

Fascinating timing, I just bought this book about a week or two ago. I've skimmed it a bit but hadn't had the chance to dive in. Will probably be digging in much sooner than before, having read this thread :)

I have the book. I haven't read the whole thing yet but what I have read I have enjoyed. It may not be as advanced as some people think but I feel it has helped me for sure.

I have it and have been reading it on and off for a bit. I agree that it doesn't seem all that advanced to me. It is just one person's take on things, so you might like it better, or worse, than I do.

Personally, I think the new Yeast book is more advanced, and has helped me more.

I found the book helpful, too. Not super advanced, in my opinion, it seems approachable to me and I am not an expert or master homebrewer by any stretch. It does have some good info relating to different styles, decoctions, etc., and some useful graphs and charts. It's a nice accompaniment to Palmer's How to Brew, and goes a few steps beyond on subjects relating to technique. I definitely gleaned some new techniques from the book but Golddiggie is right that Yeast is more technical.

i've read it a couple of times and while it's not the "advanced" book i think a lot of us want, it's still a good read, worth owning.

i'm assuming that the yeast book people are talking about is the one from zainasheff? haven't read it yet...

The book is very good. It is not so much a technical guide as it is a philosophical guide to brewing. He doesn't break down ion content in water and brewing salts, or explore the chemical changes to alpha acid in boiling wort. If you're looking for those things read George Fix. What he does do is explore ideas that have helped him understand his process better, things to evaluate as you go through your brew day and ways to piece together your brewing system. I felt like it was very advance and very accessible. There is very little information for extract brewers but any all grain brewer could find ways to improve their brewing in this book.

I picked up a signed copy from Gordon when he was at one of our local club meetings. Like everyone says its more about philosophy.

The one thing I do like about the book is each chapter gives a little background on the topic(yeast, water chem, mashing, etc) and glosses over known techniques. The part i find most intresting is the "what do I do" section. For example I have taken his water chemistry suggestion: he says that too many people over adjust water and add to many minerals. He brews most of his beers with RO water and adds only a tsp of calcium to get the mash pH correct (calcium sulfate/calcium cloride depending on malty or hoppy). He says it may not be "regoinally correct" (hard water for burton ales) but he finds that almost every beer taste better with "soft water". If its good enough for him to win his awards its good enough for me(and super simple)

I read it. I am new to brewing, so it covered things I've never done. His insight into brew competitions is great. I also liked how he explained different methods of the same process, such as lautering, and explains when he found one to be appropriate to use over another.
His tone is colder, almost curmudgeonly, which is a good blend after reading Papazian's relax mantra, Palmer's step by step methods and the various forums' multiple personalities.

I never finished it. I found I knew pretty much all of the points, and it's certainly not a "How To" guide, as much as a "How I Do" guide.

It almost seems as though he got tired of people asking how he won so many awards and decided to write a book instead of having to answer the same questions each time.

Not that it's not a good book. But it IS a book about brewing philosophy, more than a reference or guide.

Also, be aware that he does NOT discuss extract or PM brewing. He considers All Grain advanced, and that is what the book talks about.

For advanced brewing stuff, you pretty much have to go to the commercial literature, some of which you can get via libraries, others you can order.

Look for Principles of Brewing Science by George Fix, Essays in Brewing Science by Bamforth & Lewis, and Brewing Science and Practice by Briggs et al. There are many others.

I learned write a bit from the book, but found myself irritated with the writing style. Ironic, I know.

Thanks for all the info on this book. I ended up getting it, and though I didn't get a ton of new information, I definitely liked it. Everyone is right, it's more about philosophy rather than he tech side.

Has anyone ever ready this book by Ray Daniels: The Brewers Association Guide to starting your own brewery? http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381896/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have the book and refer to it often. I like it that it isn't super "techy" but rather talks about what works for him. I have a couple of the more technical books too. the problem with parts of them is that,without lab equipment, they really don't apply to homebrewers.

Thanks for all the info on this book. I ended up getting it, and though I didn't get a ton of new information, I definitely liked it. Everyone is right, it's more about philosophy rather than he tech side.

Has anyone ever ready this book by Ray Daniels: The Brewers Association Guide to starting your own brewery? http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381896/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I got it as a gift this Christmas. Its a collection of articles from BA trade magazine. Some interesting stuff and some stuff that only applies to commercial breweries, for example floor design, writing a business plan, etc. As someone who has day dreams about opening a nano brewery it was an interesting read. It does give you some insight into what it takes to make it in the industry.

I just finished reading it. I plan on re reading it this next week to pick up on some things im sure I missed. Its a very good book with tons of helpful information.

I just read this book and thought it was pretty good. Although it is not super technical ,l it is full of useful information and good insight into one home brewer's award winning processes. The book is very easy to read as well as entertaining. I don't consider myself very advanced for an all grain brewer and maybe that is why I got more out of it.

Latest posts

Back