American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
today is 2 weeks in primary for me

my OG was 1.072 and today my gravity is reading 1.031, putting me at ~5.8% abv

should i give this more time in primary or just ahead and keg it up tomorrow?

Well, how did it taste? sweet or done?
I would not shake a fermenter, as you could oxidize it. You can increase the temperature, & gently rouse (w/ sanitized spoon) the yeast.

there is very little head space... anyways, i would have to remove my airlock and cap it to shake it

Hi Ed,

Not sure if your still watching this thread, but I was going to try brewing this thursday. i was picking up a couple of grains I needed for it at the LHBS and i showed the recipe, and the guy suggested to add a Lb of Special B Grain, what do you think ?? Also, do you think it would hurt to pitch this on a BEE Cave Amber Ale yeast cake ?? i'm ready to transfer my latest batch of that on thursday. thanks

I wouldnt mess w/ the recipe if I were you. ...and 1# of Special B is a lot.
But certainly wait to see if Ed pops in.

I don't know if I would rack this on top of an existing yeast cake either. Unless you have a really big fermenter. If you haven't seen from some of the earlier posts, the fermentation on this recipe can be rather...well, vigorous.

I’ve done my fair share of racking onto yeast beds but have kind of been shying away from it, because dry yeast is so cheap and the take offs are a little more controlled. I can’t help believe the consistency from batch to batch is better too. I’m not trying to stir up and old controversy, just some thought on the practice.

This recipe is pretty awesome the way it is. You might try it as is first and then decide if it need tweaking.

Dave

Hi Ed,

Not sure if your still watching this thread, but I was going to try brewing this thursday. i was picking up a couple of grains I needed for it at the LHBS and i showed the recipe, and the guy suggested to add a Lb of Special B Grain, what do you think ?? Also, do you think it would hurt to pitch this on a BEE Cave Amber Ale yeast cake ?? i'm ready to transfer my latest batch of that on thursday. thanks

Sounds interesting, but it would be a different beer. It probably would be good, but then again, it would not be a BCB Robust Porter.

One of the great things about homebrewing is tweaking recipes. If you have a good one to start with, you can try different things, but you will never know if you don't start with the baseline to begin with.

Good luck, but I would not add any Special B to it and I would not pitch on a yeast cake of your Amber beer (I don't have a BCB Amber Ale recipe).

Sounds interesting, but it would be a different beer. It probably would be good, but then again, it would not be a BCB Robust Porter.

One of the great things about homebrewing is tweaking recipes. If you have a good one to start with, you can try different things, but you will never know if you don't start with the baseline to begin with.

Good luck, but I would not add any Special B to it and I would not pitch on a yeast cake of your Amber beer (I don't have a BCB Amber Ale recipe).

...which is a principle I always follow, whether brewing, cooking, or baking.

Brewed a variation of this last thursday and its probably almst done fermenting. I wanted to use pale chocolate so i replaced the chocolate with the pale chocolate and added 1/4 lb of carafa III special to make up for the color difference. Also used half 2 row and half maris otter and bittered with columbus to 40 ibus.

5.50 lb Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 39.01 %
5.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 39.01 %
1.00 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.09 %
1.00 lb Chocolate (Crisp) (250.0 SRM) Grain 7.09 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM) Grain 3.55 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.77 %
0.25 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 1.77 %
0.10 lb Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.71 %
1.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 41.1 IBU

Just wanted to post back on the recipe changes i used. Using the MO and the pale chocolate probably made this quite different than the original but it has still gone over well and it is very easy to drink. At last weeks homebrew meeting, it went over pretty well and a couple people really enjoyed it. I am already thinking about brewing this again after I realized how much is gone already. On the next batch I may do regular chocolate malt but with all MO. I used columbus because it is just what have been trying to use up but at just a 60 minute addition it probably doesnt matter too much which hop is used.

I made a 10g batch of this, and am currently enjoying the fisrt keg. I was wondering about putting come chocolate into the second 5gallons sitting in a carboy. I've got some Hershey's unsweetened coco powder, and was wondering what procedure to use and amount. Any suggestions??

Just wanted to post back on the recipe changes i used. Using the MO and the pale chocolate probably made this quite different than the original but it has still gone over well and it is very easy to drink. At last weeks homebrew meeting, it went over pretty well and a couple people really enjoyed it. I am already thinking about brewing this again after I realized how much is gone already. On the next batch I may do regular chocolate malt but with all MO. I used columbus because it is just what have been trying to use up but at just a 60 minute addition it probably doesnt matter too much which hop is used.

Well I realized that I was drinking this much faster than my other 2 beers on tap so I thought I better brew it again before I run out. I changed the recipe a bit this time too, but it is actually closer to the original than my first one. I used all maris otter this time instead of 2 row but all other grains were the same. I bittered to 40 ibu with centennial and I am fermenting with nottingham. I realized I forgot the maltodextrin with about 2 minutes left. I grabbed it quickly from my storage and quickly stirred it in and let it boil for 5 extra minute. So I had a 65 minute boil.

Other than forgetting the maltodextrin til the end which wasnt a big deal to me, this batch was the smoothest all grain yet and got my highest efficiency yet. I hit about 76-77% with a gravity of 1.071 and a full 5.5 gallons. My mash start at 150.5 according to my brand new thermapen and finished at 149.5 also.

Well I realized that I was drinking this much faster than my other 2 beers on tap so I thought I better brew it again before I run out. I changed the recipe a bit this time too, but it is actually closer to the original than my first one. I used all maris otter this time instead of 2 row but all other grains were the same. I bittered to 40 ibu with centennial and I am fermenting with nottingham. I realized I forgot the maltodextrin with about 2 minutes left. I grabbed it quickly from my storage and quickly stirred it in and let it boil for 5 extra minute. So I had a 65 minute boil.

Other than forgetting the maltodextrin til the end which wasnt a big deal to me, this batch was the smoothest all grain yet and got my highest efficiency yet. I hit about 76-77% with a gravity of 1.071 and a full 5.5 gallons. My mash start at 150.5 according to my brand new thermapen and finished at 149.5 also.

Well final gravity was down to 1.017 when I checked it for the first time after 9 days. So I am already to about 7%. Ill probably let this sit about another 1-2 weeks then keg and let it sit a couple more weeks.

Hey edwort. Just wanted say how much I like this recipe. Brewed back in February and now in bombers and assorted 12 ozers ( i think around a month or so), this has such a nice roasted barley character and the thickness from the dextrin really brings a full mouthfeel to the beer. As you said "chewy." It reminds me of my wake n bake clone w/ out the coffee and the 8.2% abv. I also woke up to an "oil spill" out side the fermenter and in my basement hallway lol, blow off tube couldn't handle this beast, legendary!

Prost!

Sharing the love for the original recipe. I'll say this is probably my favorite out of all the EdWort brews and I've made about 5 of them. This will be a staple at Danger Dog Brewing, many thanks for this, and for creating accessible and delicious recipes!

Hi,

I am going to be brewing this! I was wondering how many 11g packets of the Nottingham yeast people have been using? The recipe calls for 1 but mrmalty.com says 1.5 ish any thoughts? Or just pitch 2 just to be safe?

Hi,

I am going to be brewing this! I was wondering how many 11g packets of the Nottingham yeast people have been using? The recipe calls for 1 but mrmalty.com says 1.5 ish any thoughts? Or just pitch 2 just to be safe?

I had an explosive fermentation with 1 packet. In fact, I have never pitched more than one sachet of yeast in a brew except for when I had a packet of recalled Nottingham that didn't rehydrate. You should be fine with 1.

I had an explosive fermentation with 1 packet. In fact, I have never pitched more than one sachet of yeast in a brew except for when I had a packet of recalled Nottingham that didn't rehydrate. You should be fine with 1.

Same here. Threw a pack of Nottingham onto wort, no starter, no rehydration, and I had fermentation in 4-5 hours. And this beer is great! About as close to stout as you can get and still be in porter-land.....but the name does say 'robust." Ed W. strikes again.

Ed, great meeting you last night.
Sounds like a great beer, I'll add it to my list of beers to brew for sure. What temperature do you ferment this at?

I brewed this recently and it is ok but not great. I am trying to figure out what I might have done wrong. It has an extremely bitter aftertaste. I mashed it at 154, I don't know if that would have had anything to do with it. I also didn't have a very vigourous fermentation I used 1 packet of Nottingham and pitched it above 70 and didn't get it below 70 for almost 36 hours and had trouble keeping it there. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Brewed this yesterday and didn't bother doing a blow off. Big mistake. All cleaned up now with blow off in place.

Brewed this yesterday. The wort smelled and looked delicious. Will post pics in a couple weeks.

The fermentation is no joke. This one almost blew the lid off. Impressive. Pics to follow in the coming weeks. I am excited about this one.

I'm going to brew 10 gallons and test my no airlock method with this recipe. My fermenteezer is clean, so we'll see. It works well with my Hefe's so I hope it does the same.

I am thinking of brewing this for my third batch, 1st partial mash. Here's the recipe I plan on using:

Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 5 lbs, 8 oz
Briess Pilsen (Extra) Light Dry Extract 3 lbs, 8 oz
Crisp Chocolate Malt 1 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 1 lbs, 0 oz
Briess Flaked Barley 0 lbs, 8 oz
Crisp Black Malt 0 lbs, 4 oz
Crisp Roasted Barley 0 lbs, 1 oz
Northern Brewer Pellets 1 oz @ 60 mins
Cascade Pellets .5 oz @ 60 mins
Malto Dextrin - 8 oz package 8 oz
Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to my water based on Palmer's picture thing. As stated somewhere above, SRM is supposed to be about 35, and my water is as follows:

Ca: 29 mg/L
Mg: 8.5 mg/L
Alkalinity: 47 mg/L

Does this look like I've done it correctly?
Brew%2Bwater%2Bresults.bmp

I can give more information if necessary. Thanks!

Just brewed this again. Mmmmm. Here's a twist, and I know it's blasphemy to even consider messing with EdWort's drink... add a little splash of Kahlua and serve in a snifter for an after dinner drink. I call it a "Mexican Car Bomb" :drunk:

Just brewed this again. Mmmmm. Here's a twist, and I know it's blasphemy to even consider messing with EdWort's drink... add a little splash of Kahlua and serve in a snifter for an after dinner drink. I call it a "Mexican Car Bomb" :drunk:

El Robusto Blammo!

Stay thirsty my friends! :cross:

I brewed this on Friday evening just as Ed laid out in his recipe. Thank goodness I followed his advice on using a blow-off tube! Good on ya' mate! :D

Back