Hop Cones per ounce of dried hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthRiverS

Reaction score
Hopgrowers,

Just asking if anyone has an estimate on how many "hop cones" it takes per ounce of dried hops?

NRS

I had weighed 3 cones a couple weeks ago and based on that i had figured if all cones were the same weight it would take 255 cones to make a pound. then i realised the futility ogf this due to differences in size and lupilin content/weight.

Ditto. Chinook is maybe two and half times the size of fuggle. There is no standard size for hops. Factor in season varibles and the health of an individual plants there is no way to give a flat blanket answer.

I have been told that hops are about 80% water weight that is lost during drying. I am not sure how accurate or applicable in all cases this is, but the only way to find out is to weigh some before and after drying!

I agree. I try to reduce the weight to 1/5 the original weight. Now that was my first year. Now I just look at them and pat them. When they feel dry I'm done.

Last year I grew about 7 pounds of Chinook and I think I had about 22 ounces dry. But determination by CONE count is voodoo.

Back