What Size CO2 Tanks Do I Have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don223

Reaction score
I have 3 CO2 tanks. How many lbs are these tanks:

Dimensions NOT including the shut off valves.
26.5" x 7"
23" x 7.5"
13.5" x 5.25"

I'm guessing 20lb, 20lb, and 5lb.

I'm going to order 2 corny kegs for now. If I'm going to keep 2 kegs on tap, which tank or tanks should I get filled? What if I get 4 kegs? Can I run multiple kegs from one tank?

Is there a concern with older tanks? They are stamped '82, '98, and '04. I guess I'll need them pressure tested.

The 13.5 is probably a 2.5#
The 23 is probably a 10#
The 26.5 is probably a 10#

There are so many different shapes for the same size bottle though so it is hard to tell. It should be stamped on the tank.

I didn't see anything stamped on them indicating their capacity but I found a friend of a friend that works at a place that deals with tanks, etc. and he will exchange these tanks for two filled 20# tanks for $20 each. No hassle with getting them tested.

Can I run multiple kegs from one tank?

Yes you can run multiple kegs off of one tank. You will need a either a gas manifold or tee / cross fittings to split the gas lines. You are fortunate, having two tanks is preferable, that way you can run one, and fill the empty at your convenience, rather than when IT wants to be filled.

Yes you can run multiple kegs off of one tank. You will need a either a gas manifold or tee / cross fittings to split the gas lines. You are fortunate, having two tanks is preferable, that way you can run one, and fill the empty at your convenience, rather than when IT wants to be filled.

Yeah I got a second 10# and haven't regretted it. It is also nice having a secondary around for pushing sanitizer between kegs or cleaning/testing kegs or whatever else without having to yank your primary tank out of your keezer/kegerator.

Wow!!! So my friend just dropped off the two 20# tanks. These are in way nicer condition than mine were. The shut offs look almost new and the paint job is really nice. Looks like I owe someone a home brew once my kegs arrive!

Back