cocoa nib, vanilla bean, and soaked oak cubes ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujubeaz

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of finishing my bourbon oaked imperial chocolate vanilla stout...

and now it's time to put in my medium toast american oak cubes that have been sitting in balcones baby blue corn whisky and my 4oz of cocoa nibs and one vanilla bean split in half and chopped up into for pieces. The cocoa nibs and vanilla bean are sitting in house vodka (just enought to cover them).

So my questions are....

Do I add the vanilla bean and cocoa nibs with the vodka since there seems to be a bunch of chocolate goodness in the now dark murkey vodka.

Can I ad some of the bourbon that the oak cubes are sitting on without it being overpowering?

Thanks....

how long was the vanilla bean sitting in the vodka? I mixed a jar a LONG time ago with some vodka, vanilla bean, and cocoa nibs. Let it sit and than added what I need when I need it for taste. If its only been in there for a few weeks I would just take the vanilla bean out and add it. Than maybe add some more vanilla bean and try to make some vanilla extract for future use.

vanilla bean has only been in vodka for a day.
So if I add the vodka slurry of cocoa nibs and vanilla bean will it be ok? (Amount of vodka = enough to cover the 4 oz of cocoa nibs.

I did an imperial stout with oak chips soaked in bourbon. They soaked in probably 3- 4 oz of bourbon for a week and I dumped all of it in the secondary. If I were you I would probably have put the vanilla beans, cocoa, and oak in the bourbon and dumped all of it and skipped on the vodka! But yea go for it man!

Back