Amarillo tastes like aspirin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knecht_Rupprecht

Reaction score
Have an IPA in primary that has a pretty noticeable aspirin flavor. It was there when I took my OG reading pre-yeast which makes me think it isn't a chlorophenol issue. Searching for culprits for the flavor i have seen amarillo being described as having this flavor. My only thought is that it is from the oz I spread over the 15, 10, 5, and flameout.

Anyone else get this flavor from this hop? Has it mellowed for others?

I had the same with a Calypso pale ale. It did drop out after several weeks. I'm confident it was hop derived on mine, because I split a batch at the 15 minute mark and hopped the 2 halves differently. All else was exactly the same. Only the Calypso had a distinct and unpleasant aspirin taste. The other half was a blend of Citra, Sorachi, Centennial and Cascade. It was excellent from the start.

Thanks for the feedback. How long did it take to drop out? I wonder if it isn't a pesticide or other inorganic matter from the farms causing the taste.

I brewed in 12th August. First tasted the off-flavor at kegging 10 days later. I didn't recall it until I went back to the notes, but I did detect it in both halves originally, but not as bad in the hop blend batch. 1 week later I tasted both batches again, no aspirin detected anymore in the hop blend half, and put that half in the fridge on tap. The Calypso sat until October 12th before tapping again. My notes show that I still tasted it distinctly on the 13th when having my first chilled sample. On the 14th is was already decreasing. Re-visiting my notes for both batches, I believe it may have been grain based astringency which settled quicker in the first batch and was all pitched with the first yeasty pull from the keg. The Calypso batch could have been roused more when putting in the fridge and thus didn't get purged on the first glass only a day later.

My guess is that if its astringency from grains, then it will settle out. If it's a mineral or chemical issue, then it may stay in solution. Time will tell.

Back