Dopplebock Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShoreBrewer

Reaction score
Have a dopplebock with SG 1.086 in fermentor. 2 weeks in primary. SG only dropped to 1.04. Should I repitch yeast?

I used White Cali V yeast w 1500ml starter and stir plate. BS said I needed 277bil and this was supposed to make 279bil.

Do you suggest 3 days at 68? Then drop for another week or 2? This is my first deviation from ales other than 1 kolsch. Spent way too much on grain bill for this batch to screw it up.

Do you suggest 3 days at 68? Then drop for another week or 2? This is my first deviation from ales other than 1 kolsch. Spent way too much on grain bill for this batch to screw it up.

Three days might be fine at 68 degrees. Then, once there is no hint of diacetyl and the beer is at FG, it's fine to rack and lager.

You want to do the diacetyl rest when the beer is 75% of the way finished. That is one reason a correct hydrometer reading is so important at this point. A refractometer is totally useless at this point (less than useless, as it gives incorrect information once alcohol is in the mix, and trying to determine the time for a diacetyl rest).

I feel quite stupid right now. I always use a hydrometer, until this batch where I was relying on my refrac only. The really stupid part is that I did not do the correction for alcohol. Used used Sean Terrills calculator and its at 1.011..... beyond done. Am I screwed with buttered dopplebock, or will the rest still help.

I feel quite stupid right now. I always use a hydrometer, until this batch where I was relying on my refrac only. The really stupid part is that I did not do the correction for alcohol. Used used Sean Terrills calculator and its at 1.011..... beyond done. Am I screwed with buttered dopplebock, or will the rest still help.

No, the rest might still help, especially if you taste any diacetyl. You might not even have any.

You still need a hydrometer reading (calculators aren't accurate, even when accounting for alcohol) but you're definitely not stuck!

Latest posts

Back