Brew Pal software in the iTunes App Store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I emailed about the results page. Now that iOS6 is out it seems he's going to have a lot of fixes to make. None of my batches are showing up, and the timers aren't working.

snaps10 said:
I emailed about the results page. Now that iOS6 is out it seems he's going to have a lot of fixes to make. None of my batches are showing up, and the timers aren't working.

I have iOS6 with an iPhone 4. BrewPal is working fine for me.

kehaar said:
I have iOS6 with an iPhone 4. BrewPal is working fine for me.

Odd I just installed ios6 on my iPhone 4 and under the brewing section all of my brews are in mash 0% complete. When I click in them it says recipe not found?
Sent an email to support but no response yet. Hopefully it gets updated soon.

BigHairyBeast said:
Odd I just installed ios6 on my iPhone 4 and under the brewing section all of my brews are in mash 0% complete. When I click in them it says recipe not found?
Sent an email to support but no response yet. Hopefully it gets updated soon.

Same here, ios6 iPhone 4. When I click 'brew it' starts mash timer, when I go back in-recipe not found.

^^^ What they said

With Beersmith launching their app soon, I think I'll be making the move. Brewpal used to be more of what I wanted, and detailed responses to emails used to be really quick. The past few times I've emailed I haven't gotten any response at all.

OK. I get the same error when I start a batch.

I gotta admit I bought iBrewmaster a long time ago. I haven't used BrewPal to brew in months. I have just been waiting patiently for BrewPal to get good enough to pull me back. Obviously that has not happened yet.

Another proof for just staying put on old iOS, and waiting for all updates from app developpers. Don't you also miss old Maps App ;)?

mirogster said:
Another proof for just staying put on old iOS, and waiting for all updates from app developpers. Don't you also miss old Maps App ;)?

Can't disagree with that logic but I was already updated and brewed a batch at the last minute.
Good thing is they released a fix yesterday and all is working fine now.

I posted this in the General Discussion and realized it probably is better suited here. I have Brew Pal and am getting to know it. I cannot figure out how to import a recipe into Beer Pal. Can anyone help me?

Yeah, it's a well known flaw not only concerning BP but also other brewing apps(and actually not only them). That's because of Apple 'sandbox' restrictions, mostly. Developpers are trying to do their best : starting app server = importing via wifi; copy&paste methode or just simlpy file import. BrewPal is using this last option.
You have to go to Recipes&Batch History-->right upper corner icon. There you have 2 options: URL to a file and iTunes sync.
ONE LAST THING: importing file has to be in beer.xml format, and only. Truth said, it's working so so, sometimes good, sometimes not at all. It depends probably from where (pc sofware, web sites etc.) beerxml file was exported.
I learned that among all ways, the quickest way is, just to copy all recipe (from website ex.) and paste it into new recipe notes. Eventually from there slowly filling up whole new BP recipe. Good luck then :)

lancermf said:
I posted this in the General Discussion and realized it probably is better suited here. I have Brew Pal and am getting to know it. I cannot figure out how to import a recipe into Beer Pal. Can anyone help me?

I did it this way:
Export into BeerXML from wherever, save to PC.
Device connected and iTunes open.
Click phone, then apps tab. Scroll down to the section for storage. Drag and drop file to Brewpal
In brewpal app, recipes, file folder widget, import from iTunes. You can do the import from URL too but hard to host the file natively. You can import from other direct links but I've found the number of links available on the internets to be a bit limited. I am 100% on this exporting from BTP.

I think this is the best feature, it also really disrupts the market. Healthy competition is spurring action with the software guys.

I could, if given the opportunity, go on another extended rant about how lame it is that the guys that sell PC based applications are way too slow to market with this. BS will be a while longer to have a full version: http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/09/2...home-brewing-app-for-iphone-ipad-and-android/

BTP doesn't seem to be working very hard at it either.

Instead, ill just say that I'm really glad this app is here and he's making updates. I've long needed to be able to take recipes portable. Now, if I could sync recipes dynamically/wirelessly that would be something.

Is there any way at all to transfer a beerxml from a friend's brewpal to my brewpal without having to screw with a PC? He can email his beerxml to my email, where I can open it on my phone...however, I can't open it via brewpal like I'd like. Any answers here?

DFoster said:
Is there any way at all to transfer a beerxml from a friend's brewpal to my brewpal without having to screw with a PC? He can email his beerxml to my email, where I can open it on my phone...however, I can't open it via brewpal like I'd like. Any answers here?

I think if u save .xml file to Dropbox, Dropbox will give you a URL to import from! I think!
First download Dropbox to your iPhone.
When you get the XML file in your email, hold your finger on file till it gives you an option to open with Dropbox.
Hope this helps

There is now, if you use the iCloud. Just get the latest update to BrewPal. It's in the BrewPal settings in the app to use iCloud. I just did this a few days ago and now all my recipes are on my iPhone and iPad. It doesn't show any current status for batches you may be brewing on both of them though. That's only in the one you used on brew day.

Happy Brewing!!

foos-n-brew said:
There is now, if you use the iCloud. Just get the latest update to BrewPal. It's in the BrewPal settings in the app to use iCloud. I just did this a few days ago and now all my recipes are on my iPhone and iPad. It doesn't show any current status for batches you may be brewing on both of them though. That's only in the one you used on brew day.

Happy Brewing!!

This is awesome!!! Thanks for the tip. I would have never found it hidden there.

Is anyone aware if BrewPal is still being supported? I have emailed their support twice and left one review in the iTunes app store but have not received a response. I also send a direct message to them through HBT, no response.

My issue happened after replacing my iPhone. I had my BrewPal iCloud setting on and assumed all the recipes were in the 'cloud' and backed up prior to switching phones. When I received my new phone and restored from backup the xml files were not in my recipe list. I have looked in iTunes under the app and see no recipes. Also, when I click on 'Sync with iCloud' the app says that 'Recipes are automatically synced with iCloud'. Any advice, links or other experiences are appreciated.

Thank,
Dave

New brewer here so please excuse my ignorance if this is common knowledge. What does the 42p and 35 °L mean?

Also, I am noticing there seems to be a lot of fermentables missing. Are those listed in the app generic for certain malts? If so, is there a "cheat sheet" to let me know that say Munich is golden or crystals is extra light (or whatever they may be)?

image-906947462.jpg

I've never had a problem with not having fermentables on BrewPal. (All of the crystals and Munichs are on there too).

If you're looking for grain make sure you're looking under grain and not under extract. ;-)

It seems that iCloud Syncing for Brew Pal 3.3 is no longer working on iOS 8 - still works in iOS 7 - Any one else noticing this?

Only tinkering at this point, great job! For some reason I entered the fermentables from more beers pliney extract clone and the software shows 1.073, morebeer predicts 1.080.

I couldn't find maltodextrin on the ingredient options anywhere.

Can you check your Mash Math on the newest version?

11.5 pounds of grain with a target mash of 154*.

The software says 4.3 gallons at 175*. Mash settled at 165* Had to add almost a gallon of cold tap water to get it down around 154* (153.6)

Also, Didn't an old version have a way to input "grain temp" as an option?

Could you check into it and see what you find?

Going along with the mash math, I realized after my last batch (experimental 1 gallon all-grain Wit) that the water to grain ratio does not account for anything in the adjunct list.

So, for example, if you have 10 pounds of Pale Ale malt from the fermentables list, and 3 pounds of flaked barley and oats from the adjuncts list, then Brewpal will determine the water/grain ratio only on the 10 pounds of pale ale malt.

Is there a way to factor in the adjunct grains, or should I manually add the adjunct grains to the fermentable grains list and build the recipe from there? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks.

Can you check your Mash Math on the newest version?

11.5 pounds of grain with a target mash of 154*.

The software says 4.3 gallons at 175*. Mash settled at 165* Had to add almost a gallon of cold tap water to get it down around 154* (153.6)

Also, Didn't an old version have a way to input "grain temp" as an option?

Could you check into it and see what you find?

The default grain temperature is under Start up screen -> Settings -> Mash Settings. At the bottom of the page is Properites with settings for grain temperature and mash thickness.

That appears to be the only place to set grain temperature.

I've never had too much of a problem hitting my initial temperature on a mash. But on my old MLT set up I would do a protein rest between 122F and 130F and do an infusion step to bring it to a Sacc rest. Hitting the sacc rest temperature was more problematic because the BrewPal now assumes your water boils at 212F and there is no way to adjust that setting. Living at 5500', my water boils at 200F.

Going along with the mash math, I realized after my last batch (experimental 1 gallon all-grain Wit) that the water to grain ratio does not account for anything in the adjunct list.

So, for example, if you have 10 pounds of Pale Ale malt from the fermentables list, and 3 pounds of flaked barley and oats from the adjuncts list, then Brewpal will determine the water/grain ratio only on the 10 pounds of pale ale malt.

Is there a way to factor in the adjunct grains, or should I manually add the adjunct grains to the fermentable grains list and build the recipe from there? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks.

You appear to be correct that adjunct grains don't get factored into the water to grain mash ratio. I never noticed this before but I had manually entered flaked and torrified grains into the Grains list.

To add custom grains, you have to do it in the Inventory list on the start up page.

I am a big fan of BrewPal and it’s my only recipe/brew formulation app. I’m wondering if you plan to make any updates? I’d like to see the new BJCP replace the old, as well as additional new grains that are coming into the brew scene. Hope to hear from ya!

I am a big fan of BrewPal and it’s my only recipe/brew formulation app. I’m wondering if you plan to make any updates? I’d like to see the new BJCP replace the old, as well as additional new grains that are coming into the brew scene. Hope to hear from ya!

Nobody seems to have heard anything from the developer in more than 2 years. The Website is still working and the app still sells, but there have been no updates and no replies to inquiries.

Back