Fermentation gave up halfway thru. Can I add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unibrow

Reaction score
I did my first wine from the recipe forums here, the mango pulp wine. I multiplied the recipe by 4, except for the yeast

My og was 1.210 and 6 weeks later its only at 1.050 after 1 packet of champagne yeast and a sprinkle of Montrachet. Its waaaaayyy too sweet

Can I add another packet of Montrachet to get it down to the 1.004 it's supposed to be at?

If those gravities are correct, you are over 20% alcohol - I doubt you can get much higher than that with normal yeast. You could add some water, but that was a huge starting gravity.

1.210 og? what are you brewing, mango rocket fuel? as ch says, that's huge. you'll need distillers yeast to get a higher abv

Sorry, 1.120 was my og...or a bit higher

When I measured my sg at 1.050 I was close to 10% after those 6 weeks fermenting. Did I just need more patience here? I may have jumped the gun of my first attempt

you should have only used the champagne yeast, I dont know why you have a stuck ferment, it sounds like you did not use a yeast starter, when your trying to get high alcohol levels you need to use a starter. yeast like sugar but too much will overwhelm them, this sounds like the problem you are having. I would try some nutrient and oxygen and if that doesnt get it going again you will want to make a yeast starter and pitch it.

Latest posts

Back