How do you whirlpool with a hop spider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerDon

Reaction score
Hop spider users who chill with a counter-flow chiller, how do you whirlpool the hot wort? Do you take the hop spider out first? Do you stir around it?

I'm interested in building some sort of hop spider but I am trying to figure out if it would work well with my setup.

How about taking it out before whirlpooling?

I have wonder about this.. but what if I have a last minute hop addition? Batch I brewed last week had a hop addition at flame out so I left the spider on there until the wort was chilled.. I just didnt do a whirlpool.

I don't whirlpool with a pump, but my understanding is that you shouldn't need hop bags/hop spider if you whirlpool (especially with a pump). When I add late additions I usually do a hot stand for 15-30 minutes after flameout if I'm looking to get IBUs from those late additions (if I'm mostly looking for aroma I chill immediately).

I use hop bags and I don't remove the hops until after I've chilled the wort. I whirlpool with a spoon and let the kettle sit undisturbed for around 20 minutes to allow the trub to settle in the cooled wort (with the lid on and chiller removed). I honestly don't think I benefit much from whirlpooling with a spoon which is why I still use hop bags, but the cold break and other trub settles nicely from the cold stand (mostly thanks to whirlfloc I assume). I typically leave a gallon of wort behind - with BIAB I seem to get a lot of trub.

I have wonder about this.. but what if I have a last minute hop addition? Batch I brewed last week had a hop addition at flame out so I left the spider on there until the wort was chilled.. I just didnt do a whirlpool.

Turn the hop spider over. It will wind the bag around the center section lifting it off the bottom. Repeat if necessary. This only works if you have three or four "legs" on your spider.

I do this to help drain the liquid out of the bag as I'm moving the wort to the fermenter.

Turn the hop spider over. It will wind the bag around the center section lifting it off the bottom. Repeat if necessary. This only works if you have three or four "legs" on your spider.

I do this to help drain the liquid out of the bag as I'm moving the wort to the fermenter.

What size BK do you have? I'd love to find something that sits deeper into a sanke keg when boiling.

I used to drop my hop spider in the center of my IC. I would then re-circ back into the hop sider. It helps with utilization (I think), speeds cooling and the hops and bag filter out break material.

Cheers

Don't whirlpool hot wort, u don't want hotside aeration. Cool the wort, remove the spider, then whirlpool

Don't whirlpool hot wort, u don't want hotside aeration. Cool the wort, remove the spider, then whirlpool

Huh? There is nothing wrong with whirlpooling hot wort. Check out the wiki on this site. It gives instructions for whirlpooling hot AND cold wort. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Whirlpooling

As I stated in the original post, I use a counterflow chiller and I was looking for input from others who use a counterflow chiller and a hop spider.

i just leave my spider alone, whirlpool and it gets all twisted up but Ive never had a problem with it..

also +1 on the whirlpooling. I spin my boil the whole time aeration is Not a problem at all

Back