How to find the "Born On" date of White Labs Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just purchased a WLP001 with Best Before July 25....can't be 4 months?

Wow, I thought it was 4 months too... Dude, you got yeast from the FUTURE!!! Well, at least 3 days in the future anyway. Ask it if they have flying cars yet, and let us know.

Wow, I thought it was 4 months too... Dude, you got yeast from the FUTURE!!! Well, at least 3 days in the future anyway. Ask it if they have flying cars yet, and let us know.

I asked my yeast about flying cars once and it just stared at me. Never again! :mad:

I thought that it was 6 months. I don't remember exactly why, but it may have been one of the podcasts or the yeast company website.

From the White Labs Website:

What is the shelf life of White Labs Yeast?

Quick Answer: 4 Months

They go into a more detailed explanation in the FAQ post.

Just bought a wlp001 with a best by date of 4/14/14, which means my yeast was vialed 5 days from now... freaky.

Just bought a wlp001 with a best by date of 4/14/14, which means my yeast was vialed 5 days from now... freaky.

Your yeast bottle date was 12/14/2013. 26 days ago. This is an older thread but I still enjoy seeing people count backwards.

Post a picture of the vial. The last sentence in the small print on the vial should say "best before date is 4 months after bottling"

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but for anyone else curious about this, you can go here and enter the lot number. It'll give the test date at the top.

Back