Rubber glove for Replacement airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about this for a while too. I have a lot of gallon glass jars but they have really wide lids and normal balloons or stoppers will not fit them. The idea might work but I am not sure. As long as any whole punctures into the glove holds enough resistance to keep air from coming in, it should be fine unless there is some other fundamental I am missing. Keeping oxygen away from the must but allowing CO2 to escape at the same time is the only goal here.

It doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm sure you could get away with it most of the time, and definitely, in an emergency, I think it would be OK. The problem is, once in a while you get a lot of blowoff, or even a good vigorous fermentation may take it off the top of your fermenter. Those little S-trap airlocks are pretty cheap ( $1.69) and the ferm buckets come prepped for them.

EDIT: After refreshing the screen and seeing the previous post: I'm talking about beer. If you are asking the question in regards to mead, then I respectfully remove myself from this discussion.

Ha ha ha... I actually did this for my second mead- a JAOM . all of my airlocks were being used for beers and the balloon I had on there burst so I used what I had... a surgical glove... it worked just fine. If you have the option, yes, there are better alternatives, but it will work.

[U said:
[/U]Robusto;3757586]Ha ha ha... I actually did this for my second mead- a JAOM . all of my airlocks were being used for beers and the balloon I had on there burst so I used what I had... a surgical glove... it worked just fine. If you have the option, yes, there are better alternatives, but it will work.

+1.

Once the ferment dies down, the glove will sag, but still help retain a layer of low pressure CO2. So it'll be fine until you start racking etc.....

Back