I'm a little nervous...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbRedGetta

Reaction score
Will I want to brew this once I try it?

ForumRunner_20120118_183840.jpg

Personally, I think it is like drinking jet fuel... but some people love it. To each his own!

I'm in the group that loves it. I have this habit of wanting to try any extreme beer that I can find at least once. This is one I look forward to trying every year.

Dogfish restaurants doesn't have this on tap that often. Its is a good beer not great. Its like they made it just to be like hey...here is a 120 min. It has a very sweet after taste so after one I do not want anymore. I did mix one half/half with a 90 min and it was amazing.

After BrewMasters aired, it seems like my local liquor store can't keep DFH in stock. I'm on the mailing list for Whole Foods, though, and yesterday they sent out an email saying they just got a shipment of 120, so I jumped on it. They weren't on the shelves -- I had to ask for it. They're $9.99 for a 12 oz bottle.

Whole Foods also had 3 or 4 packs of Chicory Stout, which I had last year and haven't seen since. Love that store!

dmbRedGetta said:
After BrewMasters aired, it seems like my local liquor store can't keep DFH in stock. I'm on the mailing list for Whole Foods, though, and yesterday they sent out an email saying they just got a shipment of 120, so I jumped on it. They weren't on the shelves -- I had to ask for it. They're $9.99 for a 12 oz bottle.

Whole Foods also had 3 or 4 packs of Chicory Stout, which I had last year and haven't seen since. Love that store!

It's a tremendous beer IMHO. However, I wouldn't go into drinking this beer expecting an Imperial IPA. It's really a brew all on it's own. Kind of a barleywine-esque beer combined with huge hopping. I consider myself pretty experienced with big and unusual beer brewing, but I'm not certain that I have the patience to brew something this in depth.

Drinking it now. It definitely is interesting. At first, I got a big kick of sweeetness and alcohol. I'm about 1/3 into it now, and I like how it's progressing. That said, I think I'll stick to brewing smaller beers and have something like this only on occassion.

Okay, about halfway now and it's getting even better. I love how the sweetness interacts with the bitterness. Definitely a unique beer!

dmbRedGetta said:
Drinking it now. It definitely is interesting. At first, I got a big kick of sweeetness and alcohol. I'm about 1/3 into it now, and I like how it's progressing. That said, I think I'll stick to brewing smaller beers and have something like this only on occassion.

Okay, about halfway now and it's getting even better. I love how the sweetness interacts with the bitterness. Definitely a unique beer!

See what I mean? It's definitely not just an Imperial IPA. It's sweet like a barleywine but hoppy. Not that barleywines aren't hoppy, but 120 is more assertive.

I still haven't tried a barelywine yet, but I'm definitely intrigued. Yeah, 120 is definitely sweeter than 60 or 90... I was wondering why they didn't try to get it down a little more. But after 1 I stopped wondering and wanted another...

thats how I felt sir, but a little to sweet for me to have everyday.

Dogfish restaurants doesn't have this on tap that often. Its is a good beer not great. Its like they made it just to be like hey...here is a 120 min. It has a very sweet after taste so after one I do not want anymore. I did mix one half/half with a 90 min and it was amazing.

Really they always seem to have it when I go. What is really good is the 75 minute, they mix the 60 and the 90 for you.

Really they always seem to have it when I go. What is really good is the 75 minute, they mix the 60 and the 90 for you.

I agree IMO its a nice bland of the two, they balance well. Also they give it to you in a pint glass not a sniffer

Back