Brown Shugga

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArroganceFan

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good Lagunitas Brown Shugga clone extract recipe? Is there a book that might have it? The google searches I have done have not turned up much of anything, and I would really like to get one started for the holiday season. Hopefully I am not too late.

Thanks for the link, looks like I am going to be doing a conversion on my day off tomorrow. I will post it up to see what you guys think, I have never converted a recipe before. Wish me luck

Do you have a bottle of Brown Shugga around? The alcohol percentage should be listed on the label. You'll need that to determine the target original gravity. The bottle might also have some recipe/ingredient information. The website had no information.

The recipe from Ruthless Brewing lists a starting gravity of 1.100. I don't think the Lagunitas recipe is that strong.

I have the bottle in front of me:

OG 1.100
Alc 9.9%
IBU 51.1

There are no ingredients on the label other then "Ale fermented with fresh brown sugar" which is pretty obvious.

ArroganceFan said:
Thanks for the link, looks like I am going to be doing a conversion on my day off tomorrow. I will post it up to see what you guys think, I have never converted a recipe before. Wish me luck

Should be pretty straight forward..you're replacing the 2-row in the recipe with equivalent DME/LME to yeild the same SG. Leave the speciality grains & adjuncts as-is. That recipe is also a 11 gal batch so you will have to resize to your desired batch size. Using promash/beersmith/beertools or other brewing tool will help. The comments on the recipe are interesting.....

ArroganceFan said:
I have the bottle in front of me:

OG 1.100
Alc 9.9%
IBU 51.1

There are no ingredients on the label other then "Ale fermented with fresh brown sugar" which is pretty obvious.

My bad on the OG. I've only drank that beer once - it's not one of my favorite Lagunitas brews - but looks like the clone recipe will be pretty close.

From an article by Jonny Lieberman (the author of the clone recipe)

Inspired, the gloves came off and I brewed a clone of Lagunitas Brown Shugga' . Instead of brown sugar (the bland supermarket variety is really just white sugar dyed with molasses), I used a pound each of Muscavado, Demerara and Piloncillo, all of which are available at any Whole Foods. Not to brag, but I much prefer mine to the original. The clone tastes as if a half-dozen Carmellos were tossed into the boil. I've also had good luck with Turbonado.

A link to the entire article - a good read for info on brewing big beers.

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/brewingbig.php

brewt00l said:
Should be pretty straight forward..you're replacing the 2-row in the recipe with equivalent DME/LME to yeild the same SG. Leave the speciality grains & adjuncts as-is. That recipe is also a 11 gal batch so you will have to resize to your desired batch size. Using promash/beersmith/beertools or other brewing tool will help. The comments on the recipe are interesting.....

I am going to have to play with one of those programs to see how to to it. I have never messed with them before...

Anyone know of a replacement for Muscovado? I am trying to put that into promash and there isnt an option for it.

So here is the recipe I came up with as an extract version of this recipe:
Extract
90 min boil with 45 min steeping of specialty grains.

8.25lbs Pale DME American
2 lbs Pale DME British
0.5 lbs Aromatic Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal 55L
0.5 lbs Piloncillo Shugar - added with 5 mins left in the boil
0.5 lbs Demerara Sugar - addes with 5 mins left in the boil
0.5 lbs Muscovado - added with 5 mins left in the boil

0.5 oz Centennial ???? ("first WH")
0.5 oz Eroica 90min
0.5 oz Centennial 60min
0.5 oz Cascade 15min
0.25oz Cascade 1min
0.25oz Chinook 1min

Yeast: WYeast 1056 American Ale/Chico

In the original recipe it says to add Centennial hops and under boil time it says "first WH" what does that mean?

Also this is my first time messing with recipes, so I am not 100% sure on how the hops transfer. My IBU in promash are 73.2 and in the original recipe it is 41.9, the OG is slightly off as well with 1.100 for the original recipe and mine is 1.110. Also seeing how this is an extract recipe, I am guessing I would order the Crytal 55L and the Aromatic Malt as milled grain, put them in a grain bag and steep them for 45min. at 150-160.

Any thoughts, tips, questions? I need to get this fermenting for SWMBO's birthday...

muscovado and rapidura is unrefined, crystalized sugarcane juice. American brown sugar is refined white sugar with molasses added. Turbinado sugar is slightly less refined white sugar that contains some molasses. (molasses is a byproduct of refining cane sugar)

I use dark Muscovado from India Tree anytime a recipe calls for invert, or white sugar, or any sugar really.It imparts some caramel/toffey notes and also some color. This stuff is grown in Africa in volcanic ash (rolls eyes) so it's expensive at $5 a pound but seriously, this stuff in ginger bread or anything that calls for brown sugar is superior to American Brown sugar, IMO.
I get mine from Amazon.com of all places lol.

Here is the recipe from Jamil show.

Lagunitas Brown Shugga

6 Gal. batch
OG: 1.099
FG: 1.023
SRM: 17.5
IBU: ~55
ABV 10.1%

16# American Two Row
3.8# Wheat Malt
1.05# Crystal 60L
1# Munich 10L
0.3# Crystal 105L
0.23# Crystal 150L

0.61# Dark Brown Sugar @ 30min

44g Willamette 4.1% @ 90min
10g Nuggets 12.7% @ 45min
31g Willamette 4.1% @ 45min
3.5g Nuggets 12.7% @ 1min
11g Liberty 4.5% @ 1min
22.5g Centennial 8% @ 1min

21g Cascade 6.5% @ Dry Hop
21g Centennial 8% @ Dry Hop
21g Liberty 4.5% @ Dry Hop

Mash Temp: 155F, Boil Time 90min

English yeast : WLP002/WY1968
Ferment Temp: 64F

Has anyone had any luck brewing this as an extract recipe? This one of my favorites and I would love to have a clone.

Back