iBrewMaster (iPhone) - Great

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatbelt123

Reaction score
I've been using iBrewmaster for about a month for three brews. I think it's great and well worth the $6 investment. I like that I can have quick access to my info while brewing or away from the home. E.g at the LHBS I can quickly see what ingredient substitutions will do.

I've included a couple of screen shots below...

Btw, purchase price includes the Northern Brewer recipes.

image-1420217485.jpg

image-1707192788.jpg

image-3130481504.jpg

image-1242277281.jpg

I concur. I've been using iBrewMaster for a while now, and I absolutely love it. I've emailed back and forth with them a few times, and they've been extraordinarily prompt and helpful. They mentioned that they had just recently put out a Mac desktop companion with syncing capabilities, which will make data input a little easier, as I find the iPhone a little cramped to work with, though I haven't worked with it on the iPad yet. Still pushing for a Linux version of the companion, or at least a windows version I can sync with using Wine...

I use it on the iPad, and its great. Wish it could do a few more thing like calculating efficiency or yeast pitch rates, but otherwise its the best iPhone/iPad brewing app out there.

I'd have to agree with what everyone else has said. I've been using this app for nearly a year now, when I started doing all-grain. It is fairly easy to use, but like "triangulum33" stated above, it would be helpful to have an efficiency calculator on board. I suggested this a while back on the ibrewmaster.com forum. The developer said he would look into including that as a feature in later versions.

The last email I got from one of the developers said that they had an update being finalized that included several calculators. I'm interested to see which ones they included. An efficiency calculator would certainly be a welcome addition.

It's money. I like being able to formulate recipes while traveling or waiting around. Combined with the HBT app, I can feed my brewing addiction wherever I go!

Does the app have an inventory function? It'd be nice to have one on board when at the LHBS.

No inventory... Yet. That feature has a lot of requests on the website though and the developer pushes out updates so I'm hopeful.

TwoGunz said:
No inventory... Yet. That feature has a lot of requests on the website though and the developer pushes out updates so I'm hopeful.

That would be sweet. I was going to mention the lack of. I thought that might be nitpicking. But I am greedy. Yeah would love that feature. As long as it continues to be developed its the app for me.

I dig it as well, if only they could hook up with the folks that make Brew Pal we could have one of the best brewing apps ever.

iBrew Master is best for cataloging and tracking batches

Brew Pal is best for building a recipe

In my opinion.

cswest said:
I dig it as well, if only they could hook up with the folks that make Brew Pal we could have one of the best brewing apps ever.

iBrew Master is best for cataloging and tracking batches

Brew Pal is best for building a recipe

In my opinion.

I used to think that but now I like brewmaster better. Brew pal you can't even add spices and adjuncts to the recipe. So much better having all of that written out now. Brew masters ingredient list is much more complete as well and if you have to add something it's no problem. I am over brew pal. It could have been something but forget about it now.

Beezy said:
I used to think that but now I like brewmaster better. Brew pal you can't even add spices and adjuncts to the recipe. So much better having all of that written out now. Brew masters ingredient list is much more complete as well and if you have to add something it's no problem. I am over brew pal. It could have been something but forget about it now.

I read that recent update did allow you to add adjuncts, spices, or other miscellaneous ingredients

Sure you can, click on More > Additions. You can add fruit and/or spices to the boil or the Fermenter and adjunts can be added under the grain bill.

I just really like the mash/sparge settings in Brew Pal. I'd much rather put in the numbers I want to hit and the grain temp rather than selecting from the long list of predefined mash schedules in iBrewMaster.

Until it has an inventory function, I just keep my inventory in the Notes App on my iPhone. That way it's all there when I'm shopping.

cswest said:
Sure you can, click on More > Additions. You can add fruit and/or spices to the boil or the Fermenter and adjunts can be added under the grain bill.

I just really like the mash/sparge settings in Brew Pal. I'd much rather put in the numbers I want to hit and the grain temp rather than selecting from the long list of predefined mash schedules in iBrewMaster.

I don't think you quite get how that works in iBrewMaster. Check a little deeper into it. Since I have dug into iBrewMaster I can't think of a single reason to continue with brew pal.

I just got it so I've only used it for one batch so far. It worked really well. I enabled the hop addition timer and I almost dropped the iPad when it went off - serves me right for cranking the volume I guess

I don't think you quite get how that works in iBrewMaster. Check a little deeper into it. Since I have dug into iBrewMaster I can't think of a single reason to continue with brew pal.

I think I get it but help me out here. How can I easily choose a step infusion mash to hit 135 > 145 > 158 and then mash out at 170 using the temperature of my grains?

For my single reason: Brew Pal has a yeast pitching rate calculator built into it. I'm not aware of that feature in iBrewMaster.

Don't get me wrong, I like iBrewMaster and I still use it. I just think there's still room for improvement.

Best,
Sean

Brewzor Pro for Android is a pretty useful little app. I do recipe formulation using iBrewmaster so I can't speak to how well that part of the app works, but its brewing calculators are very helpful. It even has a yeast pitching rate calculator.

cswest said:
I think I get it but help me out here. How can I easily choose a step infusion mash to hit 135 > 145 > 158 and then mash out at 170 using the temperature of my grains?

For my single reason: Brew Pal has a yeast pitching rate calculator built into it. I'm not aware of that feature in iBrewMaster.

Don't get me wrong, I like iBrewMaster and I still use it. I just think there's still room for improvement.

Best,
Sean

I am not sure how to explain it but I am pretty sure you can do it. My last brew had a step in it.

No it doesn't have a pitch rate calc. I am sure they will get to that eventually. I might suggest ******** 99 cent for that for now. I have mr malty but it's a rip off tbh.

Brewzor Pro for Android is a pretty useful little app. I do recipe formulation using iBrewmaster so I can't speak to how well that part of the app works, but its brewing calculators are very helpful. It even has a yeast pitching rate calculator.

Ibrewmaster says "Coming Soon"

I think this is the next big thing they are working on.

If the app had an inventory add-on it would be damn near perfect.

fallenchicago said:
Just saw an update notice on my iPad tonight when I loaded the program. Inventory add on coming in the next few weeks.

I have a boner.

Not a fan at all of this app - there is no infusion strike calculator which is a main function.

For instance - I have 4 lbs of grain at 68 degrees and 1.5 gallons of water. I want to mash a 152 - how hot should the initial water be! ???

Grinder12000 said:
Not a fan at all of this app - there is no infusion strike calculator which is a main function.

For instance - I have 4 lbs of grain at 68 degrees and 1.5 gallons of water. I want to mash a 152 - how hot should the initial water be! ???

RTFI much? :)

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

image-3550241674.jpg

image-3781388953.jpg

seatbelt123 said:
RTFI much? :)

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I have to admit I was guilty of not liking this program out of ignorance. It is quite deep and getting deeper with each update. I don't even mess with any pc software anymore. Everything is in the pocket.

I use all three of the apps! iPhone, iPad and Mac.... I love this program for many reason!!! Using it right now to brew my Smoked Porter on the good ole Brew- Magic! Cheers!

Sherpa FE said:
The new update is out with inventory function!
Love this app!

Yep, the inventory feature is cool!

There is a bug that will cause it to crash. I emailed support and they said a new version would be submitted to apple next week.

The bug is when you add new ingredients - so don't do that until the new version. I had to add Calypso hops and now my recipe with that hop doesn't work. Anyway just a small annoyance. Otherwise a great tool for brewers.

I really like the batch tool (for scheduling with push notification) and the hop/additive timer.

Ibrewmaster keeps getting better. Inventory module is out now. And they say they have efficiency calculator and yeast pitch rate calculators planned.

I hardly use ProMash anymore. And Brewpal is just buggy. Though it has some good calculators.

The developer, Joe, seems pretty open to suggestions and ideas from users. And his response to support issues has been great.

Bernie Brewer said:
Yikes! The price has gone up a bit since the OP posted. Up to ten bucks now.

I bought it for 8 bucks last summer. Considering all the updated features not a bad deal. I would still pay 10 bucks today for it. Still a hell of a deal.

Love this app, it is GREAT. One thing i have noticed is that I have continually come up with batches smaller than targeting. Is there any way to adjust boil-off settings?

Back