One-Step Won't Dissolve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I tried using One-Step as a cleanser for the first time the other day, and I came across a strange problem. I add the one-step to a tub of hot water, and stir for about five minutes. The problem is, there are lots of tiny white particles floating around in the solution and eventually sinking to the bottom. As much as I stir, the particles don't seem to dissolve. I'm worried that the particles will stick to whatever I'm cleaning and end up in my beer.

Has anyone else had problems dissolving one-step? I've read some other posts about one-step leaving residue, but I haven't read anything about the tiny white particles. Maybe I need to let it sit much longer before soaking equipment in it? Or maybe the particles will dissolve as the equipment is soaking?

Let me know what you think...

I haven't used One-Step in a while, but when I did, I always shook the container to help "fluff" the powder. I do that with my PBW too. If that doesn't work, you can always try to use a small amount less than you are currently using.

One-Step always left a film on my bottles when dried; which is easy to rinse off with water after bottling. By definition, you can't clean and sanitize in "one step." I use PBW for a cleaner in hot water, rinse thoroughly with the same temp water, then sanitize with Star San. A large bottle of Star San lasts a LONG time and no film either.

I've used Oxyclean in the past, and rinsed really well after soaking anything in it. It worked pretty well and I never had any problems with it. The reason I tried One-Step was so I wouldn't have to rinse everything after soaking. But if I have to rinse to get the residue off, I might as well use Oxyclean or another cleanser that requires rinsing.

Back