Dead ssr?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitapaynts

Reaction score
Looking for someone with a working ssr to measure resistance across the switch both when the control panel is off and when there is no input signal from the PID.

I think mine is fried from a direct fault since there is constant current flowing through it with or without PID signal (which appears to be triggering the signal correctly). Want to be sure it's dead before having to order a new one and heat sink and bust it out of my panel...

Cheers

Unlikely it's dead. All SSRs leak a few mA when "off". More than enough to get a reading on a DVM. Simply test your SSR with a load like an incandescent lamp.

Even leaky, should I be getting 240v by measuring the output from the ssr with one probe and the other leg out of the power in? I assume not if the ssr isn't being triggered closed....

I guess I'll try the light test, but it will require me to do some additionally wiring for it all. Seems to me the way it is installed is essentially the same and telling me the ssr is failing to open....

I'm still wondering if anyone has measured resistance across the switch terminals of an ssr when there is no inout trigger signal and if they see 0 resistance like I do.

Good call. I'll double check when I skip out of work early this Friday afternoon... ;) not like I'm getting mug done here with my brewery on the verge of completion.

I'm really interested. (Taps foot and waits) -
ROTFLMAO.gif

P-J

Even leaky, should I be getting 240v by measuring the output from the ssr with one probe and the other leg out of the power in? I assume not if the ssr isn't being triggered closed....

Yes you absolutely should be seeing 240v. SSRs switch current, not voltage.

This is exactly what mine did. I was a bit surprised by it too. It's not a mechanical switch though. You may see voltage but will not get current flow until its triggered.

Just got home and per PJ unhooked the ssr and checked the element output. I get 1 volt across hots, 120 from 1 leg to neutral and 55 from the leg that was going through the ssr to neutral. The first two make sense to me, but I don't understand why I would get 55 from between the neutral and the disconnect other hot leg.

I'm still wondering if anyone has measured resistance across the switch terminals of an ssr when there is no inout trigger signal and if they see 0 resistance like I do.

You have a direct short, toss it and get a new one.
You should be seeing resistance in the MegaOhms or near Infinite.

Just got home and per PJ unhooked the ssr and checked the element output. I get 1 volt across hots, 120 from 1 leg to neutral and 55 from the leg that was going through the ssr to neutral. The first two make sense to me, but I don't understand why I would get 55 from between the neutral and the disconnect other hot leg.

You MUST test an SSR with a proper load. Your DVM is useless.

You have a direct short, toss it and get a new one.
You should be seeing resistance in the MegaOhms or near Infinite.

I misread that part from gitapaynts. This is correct. Resistance across the output terminals should be infinite with no input. This one test doesn't verify correct SSR operation however. A simple load like a lamp is the best test.

Just did the light bulb test. I didn't bother digging out a 9 volt battery from the closet, just wired in a lamp through the SSR with all power off. As expected, the light worked, so I'm concluding the SSR is indeed fried closed. Ordering a new one now.

My built in digital ammeter also doesn't work correctly, reading 0.1A without adding load other than the LED lights and PID, and when adding either the element or pump, the meter simply oscillates in the tenths of an Amp. I'm going to go ahead and order a new one as well....

Thanks for the hints!

Latest posts

Back