Apfelwein Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiraffeBrew

Reaction score
:confused:Can anyone tell me at what temp does Apfelwein ferment best at when using dry champagne yeast?? Scratching my head trying to figure this one out. Thanks and Cheers!!!!!!

I have done it in the 68-70 degree range and it has worked fine. It ferments for quite a long time, but that's normal.

Yes weeks! If fermenting between 68-72 let it ferment for a minimum of 4 weeks. Then carbonate (if you want), bottle or keg and let condition for 2 weeks before enjoying.

From what I've read in other posts it's best to ferment within the temperature tolerance of the yeast you're using. Otherwise the yeast could end up giving off flavors.

Check the manufacturer's website for the yeast and try to stay in the range that it gives.

I personally like 66F. I always like to ferment on the lower side unless I have a reason. On the higher side you could accidentaly go up into 72-75F, which may produce more fusely tasting alcohols. IMHO

I use lalvin ec-1118 champagne yeast at or around 60 degrees F. I've fermented this at higher temps before but I like the cleaner flavor profile from a lower temp.

I use lalvin ec-1118 champagne yeast at or around 60 degrees F. I've fermented this at higher temps before but I like the cleaner flavor profile from a lower temp.
I'm brewing my apflwein right now using EC-1118 and my LHBS told me ( as well as the lalvin website) that this strain is highly tolerant of temp extremes ie. 50-86 degrees though i was instructed 1 week at 70-74 degrees than drop her down to like 65 for an additional 5 weeks than use a hydrometer as apflweins finish dry around 1.000 or below. does this sound right?

I'm brewing my apflwein right now using EC-1118 and my LHBS told me ( as well as the lalvin website) that this strain is highly tolerant of temp extremes ie. 50-86 degrees though i was instructed 1 week at 70-74 degrees than drop her down to like 65 for an additional 5 weeks than use a hydrometer as apflweins finish dry around 1.000 or below. does this sound right?

Yes

Latest posts

Back