Scared to drink Trappist's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishruss

Reaction score
I am starting to get a large collection of Belgian Trappist beers (Chimay, Westmalle, Orval). They are sooo expensive and I always hear that they get even better with age, that I am afraid to drink them! Anyone else have this phobia?

Not at all.

The beer is excellent "young"

Keep in mind that you're not drinking green homebrew here- this beer is shipped across the Atlantic to you.

The orval is a bit different (to me at least), the slight Brett character gets a bit stronger with time and the hop flavor drops out unlike other widely available Belgian beers.

Just my 2 cents

That make's sense. Probably should drink a few of them, How old is the oldest you guy's have been hoarding? What is it?

I bought this bottle of Westmalle tripel in Amsterdam which the shop owner thought was in the region of 30 years old. Long past it's best I'm afraid - I had to bin it since it was undrinkable.

vp8fg1.jpg

Just drink 'em. That's what they're for. While they may well keep for a long time I doubt that they'll actually improve significantly. As someone mentioned, they're already several months old by the time you gt them.

Years ago we bought a few bottles (unlabeled blue cap (dubbel) and yellow cap (trippel)) right from the monestary at Westvleteren. We had some immediately, and hauled maybe six bottles back to Indiana. A couple of those bottles were stashed for maybe 3 years. While a side by side wasn't performed (how could it be) I think the 3 year old bottles probably weren't as good, or at least not as good as I recalled.

Unless some of the beer you're stashing is unique and irreplaceable then there's no particular reason for you not to enjoy them whenever you wish.

Last Orval I drank was a couple weeks ago. It was exactly 1 year and 1 week since the bottling. I'd only been sitting on it a couple months. It was past it's prime. Very disappointing. Drink the beer, you can buy more.

I would drink them also. They are great beers.

P.S. if anyone is in the NY area Petite Abeille has half price belgians on Mondays. This includes trappists. Its a deal that cant be beat.

thanks for the advice guys. been drinkin the cellar stock while reading the replies. don't think that i have the willpower to hold on to these any longer anyway!

Back