BCS 4 element build coming online finally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateomtb

Reaction score
Can't believe it took over a year! I finally got to power up and run some wet tests over the weekend and my buddy and I had a blast tweaking the BCS. Back for more today, I put the kid on the bus and had a chance to enjoy some coffee in the sun and watch some water cook before work. Took 13 gallons in the HLT from 65 to 168 degrees right at 20 minutes, totally stoked. Couple tiny details like labels and therminator fittings, but first brew goes down this weekend. Really rewarding but I'm so over building stuff! Thanks to everyone on here, totally awesome the amount of knowledge and ideas this group represents.

rig1.jpg

Running the HLT elements in manual mode, recirculating to avoid stratification for grins.
rig2.jpg

Looking good!!!! I'm sure we would all appreciate more details and pictures!!!

Been collecting pics here of the build.

http://mateomtb.smugmug.com/Category/Brewery-Build-1/21474238_CF45Ww

Using a BCS to control 4 elements and 2 pumps. Everything can also be run manual via the 3 position switches. 2 50amp circuits supply the panel. HERMS coil in the HLT with 10,000 watts each in the boil and HLT. My hope is to be able to swap out the keggles with bigger vessels in the future. For now I'll be doing back to back 10 gal batches.

Looks great.

I'm currently gathering parts for something similar. Although I'm planning to use a BrewTroller, also doing 4 elements but only a 50A feed, so i'll only be running 2 at any given time (I want the speed).

Wondering what size enclosure that is? As i'll be stuffing mine similarily...

Mate,
That looks great! I would love to pick your brain and ask few questions. I am building a very similar setup. Its a 3 element 2 pump bcs 460 controlled. Ive got most of the wiring in the control panel complete, but not real sure on it. The switches are what im least sure about!

Mate,
That looks great! I would love to pick your brain and ask few questions. I am building a very similar setup. Its a 3 element 2 pump bcs 460 controlled. Ive got most of the wiring in the control panel complete, but not real sure on it. The switches are what im least sure about!

Let me know what you need to know, I'll help as much as I can. The three way switches took me a bit to get my head around as well. The BCS is awesome and the whole setup is working better than I had ever imagined.

Congrats on finishing the system, Mateo. Hope that pale ale turns out great! i wish I could have seen her in action.

Build looks great! Glad I found this thread.

Would you mind describing your temp probe build a little. What you used and from where?

About to start the same thing for mine.

Build looks great! Glad I found this thread.

Would you mind describing your temp probe build a little. What you used and from where?

About to start the same thing for mine.

Probes were from ECC. I just cut the wires down and soldered in some bell wire at the lengths I wanted. Shrink wrapped the connections up and covered with some cable sheath and XLR connectors for the ends. Basically like the kai style, I didn't however put the cable strain relief in.

There are a few photos of the probes on this page.
http://mateomtb.smugmug.com/Category/Brewery-Build-1/21474238_CF45Ww#!i=1930372015&k=wdMmgVz

Back