Conditioning, and Kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
I am new to kegging with only one batch under my belt in the keg. I have always done the 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in the bottle method, but what Is the best method for conditioning keg beer. I will still do a 3-4 week primary, but is the beer g2g once it carbs up in a weeks time after that? What do you guys do to get the bet quality kegged beer that isn't green?

If you so the set it and forget it method it will take around a week to get drinkable (to me...) and then I usually give it another week before I really think it's good, but that does depend on the beer. If it's a big beer, I may want to give it a month before it peaks... To me, aging is aging whether it's in the bottle or in the keg...

Pretty much the same thing unless you want to force carb at a high pressure and get it faster. I add 2-3 oz sugar, purge o2, and briefly charge to seal the seat, and then wait 2 weeks before chilling it and plugging the gas back in. So it is basically the same as bottling.

I am new to kegging with only one batch under my belt in the keg. I have always done the 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in the bottle method, but what Is the best method for conditioning keg beer. I will still do a 3-4 week primary, but is the beer g2g once it carbs up in a weeks time after that? What do you guys do to get the bet quality kegged beer that isn't green?

It depends on the type of beer. Some beers are best consumed fresh (IPAs), while others need more time to condition (stouts, Belgians).

I generally ferment IPAs for 2 weeks, then keg condition them for 2 weeks, then pop them into the keezer for carbing and drinking.

With stouts or other big beers you can transfer it to the keg after primary fermentation is complete then let it condition in the keg for a few weeks/months.

I condition for a week after fermentation is complete, then I crash cool.

After I've reached a temperature just above freezing I let it set for a few days to get most of the yeast to drop out, I will then transfer to a keg for carbing.

You should blanket your beer with c02 when racking to keg to lesson the chance of oxidation.

It takes me about three weeks total.

You will be very pleased with kegging. It reduces a lot of time and work waiting to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Thanks guys..... I did a Hefe that turned out ok at best and kegged it after three weeks in primary and it still taste green after Bering in the keg for 2 weeks

Back