Counterflow chiller use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed with another person at his house and used a counterflow chiller for the first time. I was impressed at the timesavings using a CFC vs an immersion chiller.

What about the hops? If one uses a hop containment system do the hops stay in the kettle during the drain to the CFC or are they removed? My question is based on late hop additions and the effect steeping in hot wort has on them. Would I lose hop flavor or aroma if left in the kettle?

If you don't use a containment system there is no choice to be made but the steeping effects question remains the same.

Depends what kind of hops. Pellet hops will go through a large diameter CFC just fine. But if you have a large enough pellet hop bill, or use whole hops, ANYTHING can plug. If it could plug a valve or tubing... it could plug the CFC. But CFC's are way less susceptible to plugging than a plate chiller is.

Personally... I try and leave most of the trub/hops in the boil kettle. I use hop bags for my pellet hops, have a false bottom in my kettle for whole hops, and whirlpool. Others use a stainless mesh braid, or hop blocker. Lots of ways to skin that cat!

I use a CFC and I put all my hops into a hop bag that hangs down into the BK. There are many ways to handle hops, but this way works for me.

Back