Hangar 24 out of CA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
I have had several of the beers that come from this brewery and enjoy them very much. I had a few of the orange wheat tonight and was trying to pick out the hops that were used....it almost seems like there aren't any hops inthis beer. It is a DRY, orangey wheat beer but no bitterness that I can taste or hop aroma that I can pinpoint.

Does anyone or has anyone tried to clone this recipe AG?

Haven't had it, but they probably just use a very low amount of hops, say 10-15 IBUs, near the start of the boil. From their website it sounds like they use fresh, high quality oranges for the orange flavor (normally I'd just suggest adding a the zest of a couple oranges, but reviews mention tartness, so maybe they actually add some juice as well). For the malt bill you can probably just do pale malt and malted wheat since it sounds pretty dry, although several reviews list some honey sweetness (so maybe .25 lbs of honey malt would be a good addition).

Might be worth shooting the brewer an email to see if you can get some details on how they get the orange flavor.

Hope that provides some help.

A couple things I know:
1) They use WHOLE oranges. (Ground up, but the whole thing)
2) I believe he's said they add them at three separate times throughout the process.

I just made a centennial blonde...here is the recipe: for 10 gallons...the recipe belongs to Biermuncher but I tweaked it a bit. I doubled the 55 min and 35 min hop to 1 oz total. I added a squeeze of fresh orange juice to my glass that I kegged today and holy sh*t...it tastes pretty damn close to Hangar 24. I wonder how I can infiltrate the recipe with orange flavor. I hear they use whole oranges throughout...any ideas?

14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)

1 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
1 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)

0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)

0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)

I just love that beer. I was told to try your basic Hefe recipe then steep a bunch of crushed oranges for the last 60 seconds of the boil. I'm doing it next time coincidentally.

Back