IPA with orginal 9.7 SRM turned black/red.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tipharet

Reaction score
I have never had this happen before. Attached is a pic. What do you guys think?

image-3936596315.jpg

The color turns like that when you have it in the carboy. When you pour a glass it will be fine. I have an ipa that looks dark brown right now in the carboy and its only about 9 srm.

Thing is, I'd typically agree with you guys but the was a nice gold tan only about a week ago. Here it was.

image-2282249076.jpg

The increased volume in the carboy allows a lot less light to get through, hence looking darker, especially when the yeast drop out. My Kolsch I just bottled looked deep amber/copper colored in the carboy, but in reality is only about 4 SRM.

You're fine.

I think the color change in the carboy is from the yeast dropping out. Lots of my pale ales are tan in the carboy while fermenting then the carboy gets dark after the yeasts flocculate. The yeast cells are white and they lighten the color even with the large volume in a carboy.

PS. as mentioned above a hydrometer sample will appear much lighter. Even light beers look brown in the carboy.

Thing is, I'd typically agree with you guys but the was a nice gold tan only about a week ago. Here it was.

Look at the bottom of your sample where, due to the angle, you start to be looking down the wort rather than through it. Starting to look pretty dark and pretty much the same as in the carboy.

Latest posts

Back