Looking for all grain mexican beer for Cinco de Mayo party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjwidman

Reaction score
Interesting recipe. Personally I'd go with an actual Mexican style but that's just me.

Weird thing is that the IPA recipe says to use agave in the description but it's not on the recipe.

As far as chips, I'd not even use those. When you beer is done fermenting, take a measured sample and add tequila drop-wise until it tastes like you want it to. Scale up for the whole batch and add the tequila at bottling/kegging time.

You don't need a secondary to dry-hop. Toss some in your primary for 3-7 days (longer time will create a more vegetative taste. Not good or bad, just preferential.)

It says to sub agave for the honey so I was thinking of doing just that. Thanks for idea about adding the tequila drop by drop.

Have any good recipes for a Mexican style beer?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. But I don't have the capability to do lagers just yet. Plus I want this for a Cinco de Mayo party. Brew day is tomorrow the 31st so time constraint on that. Going to give the Mexican Double IPA a shot. Yes it is not a true Mexican style of beer, but it does sound interesting. I will have to look into those lagers once I get myself a keezer.

Thanks and cheers!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. But I don't have the capability to do lagers just yet. Plus I want this for a Cinco de Mayo party. Brew day is tomorrow the 31st so time constraint on that. Going to give the Mexican Double IPA a shot. Yes it is not a true Mexican style of beer, but it does sound interesting. I will have to look into those lagers once I get myself a keezer.

Thanks and cheers!

Good luck, it really does sound good.

In the future, if you want to make a German-style "lager" without lager yeast, use Kolsch yeast.

So I brewed this on 3/31 and it has been fermenting for 11 days, looking to transfer to secondary to dry hop and age with the wood chips but I had a couple questions.

1. Can I dry hop and age with the tequila soaked oak chips at the same time?

2. How long should I age and dry hop? I typically do a week on dry hop but am afraid of time constraint.

3. I am going to keg a good portion of the batch but will bottle off a few to give to some friends that are asking about it. I want to have this ready for Cinco de Mayo, do you think this will be possible if bottling? I am bringing the keg to the party and not worried about that, but the bottles I don't know if they will be ready.

You can also reduce the amount of corn in the cerveza recipe and use pilsner malt. You'll likely end up with something like Bohemia Clasica.

@Reno_eNVy - What are the percentages or weights of the corn you would reduce and pilsner you would add?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back