Oak Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emueller

Reaction score
I am finally motivating to build my keezer. The first step I took was to review the countless projects posted here to determine which ideas I wanted to "adopt" for my build. With such a rich resource, it was easy to conceptualize my build. I haven't drawn up a detailed plan, but have a strong sense of the key elements I am working towards.

While I haven't purchased it yet, I think I will go with the GE 7 CuFt chest freezer. I am likely to purchase it new from Lowe's for about $220. I haven't found anything on Craig's List that will meet my needs.

After reviewing too many options, I selected new a two tap (Perlick 525SS) and new 5 Gallon Ball kegs from KegConnection.com. I plan to eventually upgrade to three taps, but two will be good to start. Again, the piece of mind of new equipment was not that much more $$'s than refurbished equipment.

1 A) 5 LB CO2 Cylinder, Aluminum @ $64.95 = $64.95
2 525SS, Perlick Forward Seal, Stainless Steel Beer Faucet, UPGRADE WITH PURCH. OF KIT OR TOWER ONLY @ $25.00 = $50.00
1 2 Faucet Fridge Kit with SS Shanks, Tailpieces, Standard Faucets, and BRAND NEW 5 Gallon Ball Lock Kegs @ $337.85 = $337.85
1 CO2 Beer Regulator, Dual Body, Taprite, Upgrade @ $35.00 = $35.00
Sub-Total: $487.80
Shipping: $7.95 (Standard)

Additionally, I purchased a couple of temperature controllers off of ebay and a computer fan. I also purchased a stainless steel drip tray from http://www.barproducts.com. Including shipping, it was less than $30.

This weekend I built the tower. I installed a LED strip recessed under the taps (thanks to previous projects for that great idea).

IMG_0740.jpg

I made some more progress this week on my oak keezer build. I ended up going with the 5 cu ft Holiday chest freezer. I added a collar, so it should easily fit three corny kegs and my CO2 bottle. I am plan to install two love controllers. One for the freezer, which I will set around 2C and the second controller to turn the fan on-and-off, which I will set at 3C or 4C. I am hoping this will keep the tower cool, without having the fan run 24x7. Make sense?

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

I just keep my fan running 24/7. I don't think it draws that much power. No more than a cell phone charger.

I'm jealous. Nice looking drinking space. Especially the bowling game. That is awesome. I've been looking for one of those for years. Takes me back to High School.

Looks great so far. I agree with b-boy, I wouldn't worry about the fan using too much juice. I would just let it run.

I am done with building my keezer -- for now. I am very happy with the Parks Super Glaze ultra gloss epoxy finish I used for the bar top. One coat of the finish is equal to 60 coats of varnish!

Keg Connection was a great choice. Good prices, quick shipping and all connections (e.g., hoses, clamps) were set up and ready to go.

Thanks again to everyone who has previously posted for the great ideas and inspiration. After breezing from fermentor to corny to cold beer on tap, I wonder why I waited so long.

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

Back