To pre treat or not to pre treat.. that is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you pre treat your water before brewing

• I filter and boil

• I filter only

• I pre boil only

• no i use water right out the tap

Results are only viewable after voting.

emyers

Reaction score
Been brewing for over a year now and i never filtered or pre-boiled my city water. The water tastes good without filtering but tastes better after a brita filter, so i can see room for improvement.

My question is whats your take? Do you charcoal filter and or pre boil your water or just use it fresh out of the tap? Anyone have any experience with going to or from filtering and pre boiling? Please use the poll too!

I live in a Chicago suburb and our water is from Lake Michigan. Many brewers here like that water, so I use it from the tap. I have used a carbon filter, but that was a while ago. I do let my water sit out to get rid of the chlorine and I add campden to counter the chloramines (spelling?). You could also order a report on your water and get an analysis on it. I think if you look in the science forum here on HBT you'll find more info about that.

Back